Cloud SQL storage pricing

Sergey Shablenko

Jul 1, 2021, 4:04:16 AM7/1/21
to Google Cloud SQL discuss
Why do I get increasing storage usage even though my db instance is shut down most of the time, I use it only for a few hours a week, and it has data that takes less than 20mb in size.

There was initial usage of ~1GB, but why did it increased to 3GBs?
Снимок экрана 2021-07-01 в 11.01.30.png

goya

Jul 5, 2021, 11:31:47 AM7/5/21
to Google Cloud SQL discuss
Keep in mind that stopping an instance will not stop all costs generated by it: it stops the costs associated with the instance itself, but the storage used and any IPs continue to be charged [1].

Regarding the storage usage increase:
· If you have storage auto increase enabled, the disk could have increased during a time in which the available amount of storage was not enough
· Binary logs can also impact the amount of storage used [2], so if this option is not necessary for your use case you can disable it
· Also keep in mind that you get charged by storage capacity and not by storage used.

If this is a billing related question I suggest you to try the billing troubleshooter [3] or contact the Billing team [4]