MySQL 8.0 support

Martin Skovvang Petersen

Dec 8, 2017, 9:05:05 AM12/8/17
to Google Cloud SQL discuss
Does anyone know if there are any plans for supporting MySQL 8.0 in the near future?

I'm personally suffering from the bug#88230: MySQL normalizes decimal numbers with zero fractional part to integers

Since I have made a workaround this is not critical, I'm just curious about release announcements.

Carlos (Cloud Platform Support)

Dec 8, 2017, 12:29:09 PM12/8/17
to Google Cloud SQL discuss

Hi Martin,

Although these discussions are usually monitored by Google's Product Managers, I would suggest posting your concerns in the User Voice forum. You can also file a feature request using the issue tracker.

Brett Hesterberg

Dec 12, 2017, 10:32:05 AM12/12/17
to Google Cloud SQL discuss
Hi Martin-

I'm the product manager for Cloud SQL and have noted your interest in MySQL 8.0.  Cloud SQL will offer MySQL 8.0 support, but I cannot forecast an availability date at this time.

Thanks,
Brett

Raphael Smith

May 28, 2018, 9:54:05 AM5/28/18
to Google Cloud SQL discuss
Hi Brett

Do you have a timeline for MySQL 8.0 support yet.

We have a rather large project in MySQL and we would prefer to avoid porting it to PostgreSQL but "WITH" statements are going to become a borderline hard requirement for us. If 8.0 is coming online in cloud SQL in the near future we will hack around the issue for now. But if it is 3-6 months + away we'll have to make the change to PostgreSQL.

Any info would be very much appreciated.

Kind regards

Brett Hesterberg

May 29, 2018, 11:51:37 AM5/29/18
to Google Cloud SQL discuss
Hi Raphael-

Cloud SQL will offer MySQL 8.0 support, but I cannot forecast an availability date at this time.  Announcements about MySQL 8.0 support will be made in the Announce group and in Release Notes.

Regards,
Brett

Raphael Smith

Aug 15, 2018, 10:53:16 AM8/15/18
to Google Cloud SQL discuss
Thanks Brett.

Any idea if we are talking weeks, months or years?

Kind regards

On Friday, December 8, 2017 at 9:29:09 AM UTC-8, Carlos (Cloud Platform Support) wrote:

Hi Martin,

Although these discussions are usually monitored by Google's Product Managers, I would suggest posting your concerns in the User Voice forum. You can also file a feature request using the issue tracker.

Jorge A (Google Cloud Support)

Aug 15, 2018, 12:54:42 PM8/15/18
to Google Cloud SQL discuss

Hi Raphael,

There's no way of estimating a more specific time frame for now, all updates regarding MySQL 8.0 support can be tracked via this Issue Tracker feature request and as Brett said, through the Announce group

Raphael Smith

Aug 16, 2018, 11:50:54 AM8/16/18
to google-cloud...@googlegroups.com
Thanks.

On Wed, Aug 15, 2018 at 6:54 PM 'Jorge A (Google Cloud Support)' via Google Cloud SQL discuss <google-cloud...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

Hi Raphael,

There's no way of estimating a more specific time frame for now, all updates regarding MySQL 8.0 support can be tracked via this Issue Tracker feature request and as Brett said, through the Announce group

Ryan Toth

Nov 7, 2018, 5:11:41 PM11/7/18
to Google Cloud SQL discuss
Any word on this yet performance difference is huge!!! thinking about mariadb if this isn't rolling out sometime soon.

Jack Cox

Nov 30, 2018, 12:00:51 PM11/30/18
to Google Cloud SQL discuss

Katayoon (Cloud Platform Support)

Nov 30, 2018, 8:07:20 PM11/30/18
to Google Cloud SQL discuss
Hi,

You may follow this feature request which already exists in the Issue Tracker via this link. I transferred your interest on having MySQL 8.0 support to Google Cloud SQL product team as well.

Tim Holme

Apr 12, 2019, 9:33:55 AM4/12/19
to Google Cloud SQL discuss
We urgently need cloud managed MySQL 8 please!

Jay Yuan

Jan 23, 2020, 7:01:59 PM1/23/20
to Google Cloud SQL discuss
Hey Google, your customers have updated this to No.1 by a large margin. https://googlecloudplatform.uservoice.com/forums/302613-cloud-sql/suggestions/35244256-mysql-8-0-support?page=1&per_page=20

where/when do we actually get a response from you?

Thanks

Olu

Jan 24, 2020, 9:28:09 AM1/24/20
to Google Cloud SQL discuss
Hi, Jay

The Cloud SQL product manager earlier advised that announcements about MySQL 8.0 support will be made in the Announce group[1] and in Release Notes[2].

Likewise, there is a feature request open for the implementation. You can follow the information shared on that link for regular updates on the implementation. However, there is still no ETA at the moment.

Blake Acheson

Feb 19, 2020, 9:28:59 AM2/19/20
to Google Cloud SQL discuss
Google is now the last platform to not offer mysql 8 support....it's been so long I'd imagine they have chosen not to support it....the community has been waiting years and nothing but silence from google

A M

Aug 10, 2020, 8:24:00 AM8/10/20
to Google Cloud SQL discuss
I am looking forward to the Cloud Next '20 and hoping they can provide some update on MySQL 8 as there has been no word about this from Google for a while now.

Gavin Todes

Aug 18, 2020, 4:57:40 PM8/18/20
to Google Cloud SQL discuss
Womp womp, no mention of MySQL 8.0 in the What's new with Cloud SQL session today.

Brett H or anybody else at Google: please, please, please, pretty please just tell us if this is on your roadmap, and if it is then a rough idea of when we can expect it would be fantastic.

Brett Hesterberg

Aug 18, 2020, 8:09:33 PM8/18/20
to Google Cloud SQL discuss
Hi Everyone,

The Cloud SQL team has been working on support for MySQL 8 for a while now and will be announcing support in the near the future. Please take my timeline guidance as tentative, but the team plans to announce support next month. At launch, MySQL 8 will be fully integrated it with Cloud SQL’s high availability configuration and security controls. We appreciate the community's patience and continued feedback!
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

A M

Aug 19, 2020, 10:17:30 AM8/19/20
to Google Cloud SQL discuss
It is great to have at least some idea that the MySQL 8 support will arrive by next month or within a few months. I am sure many of us look forward to it. Thank you Brett Hesterberg for providing the update.

A M

Aug 25, 2020, 9:06:53 AM8/25/20
to Google Cloud SQL discuss
Am I seeing things or has this been implemented for everyone?
cloudsql_mysql8.png

Charles Guise-Brown

Aug 25, 2020, 1:26:58 PM8/25/20
to Google Cloud SQL discuss
We know well that you cant promise a data for MySQL 8, but clearly the "in the next month or so from 2019" did not go anywhere and waws looking out for it at the database session a week ago and saw nothing - did I miss it or can you provide some sort of update.

I - and probably LOTS of people - are keen for some "forward guidance" re whether it is still on the Cloud SQL roadmap and "what timeline you currently "have in mind" to help us to plan accordingly

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail may contain confidential information and is intended only for the use of the recipient named above. Should you receive this e-mail in error, please forward it back to the sender and delete it from your inbox. Any disclosure, copying, distribution or action on the contents of this e-mail is strictly prohibited.

Mary (Cloud Platform Support)

Aug 25, 2020, 4:55:54 PM8/25/20
to Google Cloud SQL discuss
Hello Everyone,

Our Cloud SQL release notes have been updated[1]. As of today with Cloud SQL 307.0.0 you will be able to use MySQL 8 as it is listed as GA. The Console UI may already reflect the option of using 8.0, since the update was made today it is still rolling out depending on your region. Some customers on our public issue tracker[2] have already confirmed they are starting to see the option become available.

Ben van der Harg

Aug 26, 2020, 12:29:12 PM8/26/20
to Google Cloud SQL discuss
@Mary (Cloud Platform Support),

Shouldn't these release notes be updated too: https://cloud.google.com/sql/docs/release-notes ?

Kind regards,
Ben

Brett Hesterberg

Aug 26, 2020, 1:57:41 PM8/26/20
to Google Cloud SQL discuss
Hi Everyone,

As you are seeing, Cloud SQL is adding support for MySQL 8 this week. Watch for official announcements soon!

Thanks,
Brett

Brett Hesterberg

Aug 27, 2020, 1:46:51 PM8/27/20
to Google Cloud SQL discuss
Hi Everyone,

Today, we’re officially announcing that Cloud SQL, our fully managed database service for MySQL, PostgreSQL, and SQL Server, now supports MySQL 8. MySQL 8 is generally available (not beta!) on Cloud SQL and is available in every region. Check out our Google Cloud blog post, Gabi's blog post, and online documentation for more information.

Thanks,
Brett, on behalf of the Cloud SQL team

Mark Nordine

Aug 27, 2020, 5:13:41 PM8/27/20
to Google Cloud SQL discuss
Is there going to be an INPLACE upgrade option?

Brett Hesterberg

Aug 27, 2020, 7:07:40 PM8/27/20
to Google Cloud SQL discuss
Hi Mark,

Yes, we do plan to offer an in-place upgrade option in the future. Unfortunately, I'm not able to provide a delivery date right now.

Regards,
Brett

Hans Ravnaas

Aug 27, 2020, 7:09:34 PM8/27/20
to google-cloud...@googlegroups.com

Brett,

Excited to hear about the in-place upgrade possibility. Will that be offered for PostgreSQL too?

Thanks,

Hans

Brett Hesterberg

Aug 27, 2020, 7:13:01 PM8/27/20
to Google Cloud SQL discuss
Hi Hans,

Yes, an in-place upgrade option will also be offered for PostgreSQL, although it may not launch at the same time as MySQL.

Regards,
Brett