explicit_defaults_for_timestamp

Ed Barton

Mar 23, 2018, 11:21:14 AM3/23/18
to Google Cloud SQL discuss
In a Google Cloud SQL 2nd generation instance, I cannot find any way to disable the peculiar MySQL treatment of timestamp fields.  These legacy peculiarities are being deprecated in MySQL, and a warning is logged upon startup of the instance:

[Warning] TIMESTAMP with implicit DEFAULT value is deprecated. Please use --explicit_defaults_for_timestamp server option (see documentation for more details)."

However, there does not seem to be any flag in Cloud SQL to cause this flag to be passed.  Trying to change the setting at the individual session level with SET SESSION does not work either, because changing that session variable requires SUPER privileges and Cloud SQL does not support those either.  Is there no way to disable the deprecated semantics of timestamp fields in Cloud SQL ?

Taher (Cloud Platform Support)

Mar 23, 2018, 9:08:00 PM3/23/18
to Google Cloud SQL discuss

Hi Ed,

Thank you for your message. Indeed, there is no supported flag in CloudSQL for MySQL which can cause the issue to be resolved. However, I would suggest you log a feature request in the public issue tracker for enabling explicit_defaults_for_timestamp flag to customers.