Is MySQL database provided with GCP Free Trial?

Nikunj Bhatt

May 28, 2018, 3:04:11 PM5/28/18
to Google Cloud SQL discuss
I am new to GCP.
I saw this page https://cloud.google.com/free/
NoSQL is mentioned in "Google Cloud Datastore" card/section but "Cloud SQL" is not mentioned on this page, and I learned that MySQL is part of "Cloud SQL". So, I believe MySQL is not available with Free Trial.
Am I right or wrong?

Fady (Google Cloud Platform)

May 28, 2018, 8:08:38 PM5/28/18
to Google Cloud SQL discuss

Hello Nikunj,

In order to answer your question, I would like to differentiate between an always-free product (with limits) and free trial period.

When using an always-free product, and as the title implies, you have no specific limit on the period that you use it. (you can still use even after free trial period ends). Hence, you can use the product within the limits and should not be charged unless if the product is dependent on a different paid service/resource or if you exceeded the limits. Therefore, Cloud Datastore (No SQL DB) is offered with certain limits for free per this document. But, as you mentioned, Cloud SQL is not listed in the document, and not offered as an always free product.

On the other hand, and for new customers, we offer a 300$ free trial credit that you can use as you wish for any product with limitations and restrictions per this FAQ (e.g CPU count limit, cryptomining not allowed). Hence, you may use this free credit to create/operate a Google managed Cloud SQL instance for the trial period. To save on charges against your free credit, you may use a micro type instance. (check prices/limits for your instance zone at this page)

However, if you are looking for an always-free MySQL instance whether during the free trial or after (not charged against your credit within the limits), you can always make use of the Compute Engine offering, and create your own MySQL instance (f1 micro, 30gb HD, Egress limit per region) using this tutorial. For further information about Free tier in details, please check this FAQ.

Nikunj Bhatt

May 29, 2018, 9:14:23 AM5/29/18
to Google Cloud SQL discuss
Thanks Fady. Excellent information.