How do you move a cloudsql instsance to a smaller disk?

Jacob Peebles

May 18, 2020, 11:07:48 PM5/18/20
to Google Cloud SQL discuss
Hello,

We are looking for instructions on how to resize a CloudSQL DB. If anyone knows the steps to do this or a document/documentation on this it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jake

Katayoon (Cloud Platform Support)

May 19, 2020, 9:40:08 AM5/19/20
to Google Cloud SQL discuss
Hello Jacob,

My assumption is that you would like to resize either your instance storage or your instance machine type? If not, please provide more clarification on your question.

If you want to decrease your instance storage, you may take a look at this answer on Stack Overflow. You can also change your Machine Type via editing your instance.

Jacob Peebles

May 19, 2020, 11:02:29 AM5/19/20
to Google Cloud SQL discuss
Yes, sorry for not adding enough detail. We would like to resize the storage to a smaller size.

- Jake

Jacob Peebles @ Get.It

May 19, 2020, 11:02:32 AM5/19/20
to google-cloud...@googlegroups.com
Yes that is right. We would like to resize to smaller storage.

- Jake

Jacob Peebles
CEO/Co-Founder

Get It® | https://www.get.it | ja...@get.it 877.285.7861 x703

I'm on Linkedin | Twitter | Reddit | Youtube | Quora

Jacob Peebles

May 25, 2020, 1:19:30 PM5/25/20
to Google Cloud SQL discuss
Hi All,

Bumping this back up? It would be great to have some guidance on how to do this. Again we have a Cloud SQL where our storage it outsized, to big so we want to move it to smaller storage. How do we do that?

Thanks!

- Jake

On Tue, May 19, 2020 at 9:40 AM 'Katayoon (Cloud Platform Support)' via Google Cloud SQL discuss <google-cloud-sql-discuss@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Hello Jacob,

My assumption is that you would like to resize either your instance storage or your instance machine type? If not, please provide more clarification on your question.

If you want to decrease your instance storage, you may take a look at this answer on Stack Overflow. You can also change your Machine Type via editing your instance.

Jacob Peebles
CEO/Co-Founder

Get It® | https://www.get.it | jacob@get.it 877.285.7861 x703

Sabyasachi Sengupta

May 25, 2020, 6:23:38 PM5/25/20
to Google Cloud SQL discuss
As per the documentation of cloud sql, It does not seem you can do so.

https://cloud.google.com/sql/docs/mysql/instance-settings#storage-capacity-2ndgen

Data migration to a smaller instance
probably be the solution

yananc

May 25, 2020, 11:44:45 PM5/25/20
to google-cloud...@googlegroups.com

Hi Jacob,

As Sabyasachi has pointed out in the doc, once the instance is created, the storage capacity cannot be decreased. The best option is to create a new instance with the desired capacity and then copy all the data of the old instance into it. The copying process could include exporting data to a CSV file and importing the file to the newly created instance.

Hope it helps!

Jacob Peebles

May 28, 2020, 9:27:50 AM5/28/20
to Google Cloud SQL discuss
Yes, we are aware the storage capacity cannot be decreased, hence the question.

Thanks for those steps. This is a production DB that cannot be taken offline, is there another step to do a replication? Sorry if I left that point out.

- Jake