Cloud SQL and private IP

John Scott Ertel

Apr 8, 2019, 2:06:10 PM4/8/19
to google-cloud...@googlegroups.com
The information security team at my organization is asking that I move my cloudSQL instance to private IP because of their policy. Currently, I have cloud functions and app engine connecting to my database. I see the documentation states that if using App Engine you have to use flexible and not standard environment. I am assuming that cloud functions would lose connectivity?

George (Cloud Platform Support)

Apr 9, 2019, 2:21:55 PM4/9/19
to Google Cloud SQL discuss
Hello John,

You are right, Cloud Functions do not support such connectivity. To use private IP's, you need to set up Virtual Private Cloud (VPC), and have your services use this VPC for interconnection. This cannot be accomplished with Cloud Functions, as they run on a managed network, so outside any VPC you may set up. Such a situation makes interconnection impossible.