SQL Instance stuck at restart due to lack of available space.

Mirek Sawicz

Feb 27, 2019, 2:26:49 PM2/27/19
to Google Cloud SQL discuss
Hi,

My SQL instance on project ipassport-215314 with IP 35.242.167.215 got stuck during restart and I can't increase the storage on it. I tried using gcloud CLI and the web interface, but nothing works. Is there any way I can increase the storage on this machine?

Harmit Rishi (Cloud Platform Support)

Apr 3, 2019, 4:49:37 PM4/3/19
to Google Cloud SQL discuss

You should be able to increase the amount of storage available to your instance at any time without experiencing any downtime.

For clarification purposes, have you tried doing increasing storage size by navigating to Google Cloud Platform console > SQL >  Instance > Edit: Configure machine type and storage >  Storage capacity ? Also, would you be able to provide any sort of error message that you encountered when attempting to do this? This information will help me address your issue appropriately as I wasn't able to find the instance that you are referring to in my investigation.

As a preventative measure, you may turn on automatic storage increase in order to avoid incidents related to lack of storage for your Cloud SQL instance. You may do this by simply checking the box called “Enable automatic storage increases” on the same path mentioned above.

Side-note: you cannot decrease the size of storage and all storage increases are permanent for the life of the instance. You can find more information about this on the FAQ for Cloud SQL here.

Mirek Sawicz

Apr 4, 2019, 3:50:40 AM4/4/19
to Google Cloud SQL discuss
Thanks for your reply. I have resolved the issue since then. The problem was that I couldn't increase the storage, because the machine was not running or shut down, it was stuck in the restart and the edit button is disabled then.