Issues with cloud-sql-proxy today?

Syria Gonzales

Mar 17, 2017, 5:10:58 PM3/17/17
to Google Cloud SQL discuss
Dear all,

Recently we've migrated some databases into Google Cloud SQL. Today, the two that I connect to over cloud-sql-proxy failed connecting with error:

(HY000/2013): Lost connection to MySQL server at 'reading initial communication packet', system error: 0
and:
Connect Error (2013) Lost connection to MySQL server at 'reading initial communication packet', system error: 0

In my error log are some error messages that may be related, maybe not:

13:05:36.9782017-03-17T12:05:36.978092Z 0 [ERROR] /usr/sbin/mysqld: Got timeout reading communication packets
{
textPayload: "2017-03-17T12:05:36.978092Z 0 [ERROR] /usr/sbin/mysqld: Got timeout reading communication packets"
insertId: "s=3b9eaa5046a84972b4d345fa44f60bef;i=74d3d6;b=8fc4adc83d304abdbdba1f5917c1680c;m=31aa628622c;t=54aebfed952b0;x=4a31d46558dbdf9c@a1"
resource: {…}
timestamp: "2017-03-17T12:05:36.978608Z"
severity: "ERROR"
logName: "projects/voordemensen-tickets/logs/cloudsql.googleapis.com%2Fmysql.err" }

In both cases, the connection was reestablished after a few minutes. And it again only happened to the databases I use the proxy for. The ones I connect directly to worked fine. What was going on? Can I rely on cloud-sql-proxy? Or does it have glitches?

Thanks,
Syria

Ankush Agarwal

Mar 17, 2017, 5:27:25 PM3/17/17
to Google Cloud SQL discuss
Syria,

Which version of the proxy are you using? We released 1.08 recently. Are you able to reproduce the issue?

Syria Gonzales

Mar 18, 2017, 2:01:01 AM3/18/17
to Google Cloud SQL discuss
I was still on 1.05 - thanks Ankush, updated.

Kevin Malachowski

Mar 18, 2017, 1:01:08 PM3/18/17
to Google Cloud SQL discuss
If you're interested in debugging what the problem was, feel free to post the log messages that came out of the Cloud SQL Proxy client running next to your app.

Note that this isn't necessarily the Proxy, it could have been transient unavailability of the database itself. During the problem period did you attempt to connect to the database over normal IP connectivity? (I.e. whitelist your desktop ip momentarily and attempt a connection to the database Publix IP).