SQL instances locking up due to update?

Rob Olmos

Feb 7, 2017, 9:46:13 AM2/7/17
to Google Cloud SQL discuss
We've had a couple SQL instances that have locked up recently.

Log from one 2nd-gen instance that basically locked up around 12:10am and didn't recover:

Feb 6, 2017, 8:12:18 AM Update Done.
Feb 6, 2017, 8:07:45 AM Restart Done.
Feb 6, 2017, 7:23:57 AM Backup Done.
Feb 6, 2017, 12:04:19 AM Update Done.
Feb 5, 2017, 5:35:52 AM Backup Done.

Log from another 1st-gen instance that I believe locked up on Feb 3rd until it was rebooted:

Feb 4, 2017, 1:56:12 PM Backup An unknown error occurred.
Feb 3, 2017, 1:26:05 PM Backup An unknown error occurred.
Feb 3, 2017, 1:23:32 PM Backup An unknown error occurred.

For about a year now we haven't had any issue like this and then recently we have two of them.

Is there a known issue affecting SQL instances recently?

If not, how can we get more insight into why these instances locked up and required a reboot?

Thanks

George (Cloud Platform Support)

Feb 7, 2017, 3:47:41 PM2/7/17
to Google Cloud SQL discuss
Hello Rob,

There is no recorded outage for CloudSQL at the times you indicate.

To properly address troubleshooting of possible locking issues, you may try examining and then communicating here the output of the following commands:

SHOW ENGINE INNODB STATUS;
SHOW PROCESSLIST;

For more details about debugging MySQL server problems, you may refer to the “Diagnosing Issues with Cloud SQL Instances” documentation page. Firstly, you should check the error log in the console to see why the server does not restart. Log files are located in the data directory (typically C:\Program Files\MySQL\MySQL Server 5.7\data on Windows, /usr/local/mysql/data for a Unix/Linux binary distribution.

More details on viewing the logs on the “Viewing Information About Your Cloud SQL Instance” documentation page.

If you would like us to investigate further, you may send us your project number via private email.