Civics Availability Info - 2020 Elections

Justin Quizon

Sep 2, 2020, 4:00:17 PM9/2/20
to Google Civic Information API
Hi everyone,

We are excited to announce that the data availability schedule is now available for 2020 US Elections!

You can find it under this spreadsheet here wherein the dates can be viewed. It lists when data is expected to be available for a specific state with regard to Polling location, Early Voting, Ballot, and/or Election Admin info. This will also be available on the developers page soon and will be added to this post once published.

Please note that these estimates are subject to change based on availability of data from election officials, our partners and/or other sources.

Hope this is helpful and let us know if you have any questions!

Regards,
Justin

Justin Quizon

Sep 2, 2020, 4:26:14 PM9/2/20
to Google Civic Information API
As mentioned previously, here is a link to the developer page:

Arik S.

Sep 9, 2020, 2:47:03 PM9/9/20
to Google Civic Information API
Hi Justin,

Could you extend the spreadsheet with dates for territories, such as Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands?

Justin Quizon

Sep 9, 2020, 3:53:00 PM9/9/20
to Google Civic Information API
Hi everyone,

Following up on this post to share a few updates. Firstly, WY early vote data is now live and has been added to the spreadsheet. You can see this information in column C and will be marked as "Live!". Second, the spreadsheet has been migrated to a new location; please refer to the following link to access the spreadsheet:

For convenience, this has also been updated in our developer documents

Lastly, for your reference, the 2020 general election ID is 7000. If you have any questions or concerns, please let us know!

Regards,
Justin

Justin Quizon

Sep 9, 2020, 4:24:45 PM9/9/20
to Google Civic Information API
Hi Arik,

Unfortunately, polling location data for US territories will not available for the 2020 general election.

Regards,
Justin

yonatan landau

Sep 9, 2020, 6:06:14 PM9/9/20
to Google Civic Information API
Will we really not have PA/WI early vote data or drop-boxes for PA?

Justin Quizon

Sep 24, 2020, 8:46:00 PM9/24/20
to Google Civic Information API
Hi Yonatan,

I will circle back with our team to confirm the details of PA/WI and follow up as soon as we have anything to share!

Regards,
Justin

Justin Quizon

Sep 24, 2020, 8:48:32 PM9/24/20
to Google Civic Information API
Hi everyone,

Following up on this post with an update on New Jersey that was recently made live. Please note that 21 counties in NJ do not offer early vote. You can find information about this in our spreadsheet for details:

As always, please feel free to let us know if you have any questions!

Regards,
Justin

Justin Quizon

Sep 25, 2020, 11:57:48 AM9/25/20
to Google Civic Information API
Hi Yonatan,

Circling back to inform you that for WI we will unfortunately not have the information available. For PA, we're working on getting a date included as soon as we're able and will update the sheet as soon as this information is ready to share.

We really appreciate your patience here as we work through these details!

Regards,
Justin

Margie Roswell

Sep 25, 2020, 12:30:13 PM9/25/20
to Google Civic Information API
The drop box schedule of release by the Google Civic Information API is appalling.
I hope there's a way to speed up drop box information release. At least for already-known locations.

Earnestly, pointedly, and hopefully requesting,
Margie

Justin Quizon

Sep 29, 2020, 9:25:45 PM9/29/20
to Google Civic Information API
Hi everyone,

Following up again to inform everyone that the following states now have early voting data live:

1) Ohio
2) Virginia
3) Nevada
4) Colorado
5) Illinois

You can see this information in column C and will be marked as "Live". As always, you can refer to these in our spreadsheet below:

Regards,
Justin

Justin Quizon

Oct 2, 2020, 11:23:40 AM10/2/20
to Google Civic Information API
Hi everyone,

Following up here to provide an update on additional states which now have early voting data live:

1) Minnesota
2) Nebraska

You can see this information in column C and will be marked as "Live". As always, you can refer to these in our spreadsheet below:

Regards,
Justin

Justin Quizon

Oct 6, 2020, 1:47:32 PM10/6/20
to Google Civic Information API
Hi everyone,

Following up here to let you all know that the below states now have early voting data available for the API:

1) Arizona
2) Indiana
3) California
4) Vermont

A few things worth noting in our most recent updates:

- Vermont will not have early voting data for 45 towns
- New Jersey will not have early voting data for 5 counties, previously noted as 21 counties
- You can find a list of counties with early voting data available for California in the spreadsheet

For convenience, you can refer to the above details and further information on these states in our spreadsheet:

Regards,
Justin

Justin Quizon

Oct 8, 2020, 8:27:42 PM10/8/20
to Google Civic Information API
Hi all,

Following up here to let you all know that the below states now have early voting data available for the API:

1) Illinois
2) Rhode Island
3) Maine
4) Iowa
5) North Carolina
6) Florida
7) South Carolina
8) Tennessee

Please note that for Illinois, we do not have coverage for Calhoun County.

As always, you can refer to the above details and further information on these states in our spreadsheet:

Regards,
Justin
Message has been deleted

Justin Quizon

Oct 14, 2020, 12:22:14 PM10/14/20
to Google Civic Information API
Hi all,

Following up here to let you all know that the below states now have early voting and drop box data available for the API:

1) Oregon
2) Hawaii
3) Montana

Please note the following for details for this update as well:

1) 7 new counties have data for California
2) 3 counties do not have EV data for Montana

As always, you can refer to the above details and further information on these states in our spreadsheet:

Regards,
Justin

Justin Quizon

Oct 16, 2020, 6:59:25 PM10/16/20
to Google Civic Information API
Hi all,

Following up here to let you all know that the below states now have early voting and polling location data available for the API:

1) Nebraska
2) Idaho
3) Wyoming
4) Washington
5) Kentucky
6) Delaware
7) Delaware
8) Kansas
9) Pennsylvania

Please note the following for details for this update as well:

1) There is no polling location data for 5 counties in Nebraska
2) We have added additional counties for California
3) Dropbox data for Kansas is not yet included
4) 2 Counties in New Jersey will not have dropbox data available

As always, you can refer to the above details and further information on these states in our spreadsheet:

Have a great weekend!

Regards,
Justin

Ryan Flamion

Oct 16, 2020, 7:02:14 PM10/16/20
to google-civ...@googlegroups.com
Hey Justin,

You have Delaware listed twice in your list.  Was there another state that you accidentally replaced Delaware with?

Thanks,

-Ryan

Justin Quizon

Oct 20, 2020, 2:28:24 PM10/20/20
to Google Civic Information API
Hi Ryan,

Thank you for catching that, it was a typo on my end, no other states were replaced in the announcement!

Regards,
Justin

Justin Quizon

Oct 20, 2020, 9:25:30 PM10/20/20
to Google Civic Information API
Hi all,

Following up here to let you all know that the below states now have early voting and polling location data available for the API:

1) Texas
2) Louisiana
3) Maine
4) Idaho
5) Georgia
6) West Virginia
7) Oklahoma

Please note the following for details for this update as well:

1) We have added another set of counties for California on the API

As always, you can refer to the above details and further information on these states in our spreadsheet:

Regards,
Justin

Justin Quizon

Oct 23, 2020, 7:06:15 PM10/23/20
to Google Civic Information API
Hi all,

Following up here to let you all know that the below states now have early voting, polling location, dropbox data available for the API:

1) Connecticut
2) New Mexico
3) New York
4) Alaska
5) Utah
6) Wisconsin
7) North Dakota
9) DC
10) Maryland
11) Alabama
12) Massachusetts
13) Arkansas

Please note the following for details for this update as well:

1) No dropbox data is available for 4 towns in Connecticut
2) No data is available for 1 county in New Mexico
3) No early voting or polling location data is available for 6 counties in New York
4) No Polling location data available for 2 counties in Wisconsin

As always, you can refer to the above details and further information on these states in our spreadsheet:

Have a great weekend!

Regards,
Justin

Justin Quizon

Oct 28, 2020, 7:15:56 PM10/28/20
to Google Civic Information API
Hi all,

Following up here to let you all know that State Contest information is now live on the Civics API for all states in our spreadsheet!

In addition, we will continue to work on bringing live polling location information for the remaining states, please be on the look out for the releases.

As always, details and further information on each state can be found in our spreadsheet linked here:

Regards,
Justin

Trevor Allred

Oct 29, 2020, 2:04:04 PM10/29/20
to google-civ...@googlegroups.com
For the past several months, I've been building an app designed to work with contest data. Well actually I've been designing and planning this for much longer. Yesterday I finally got access to the contest data for arguably the most important election of our lives and I'm extremely disappointed:

1) The election data came too late. More than 75 million voters have already cast their ballots. Delivering contest data less than 1 week before the election has little to no value. It really makes me sad that so many people put together this data and it's not available for voters to actually use.
2) The election data doesn't match the API in 3 key areas.
2a) The contest id is missing. The api documentation had the unique identifier up until last month. Eliminating this makes it impossible to identify a unique contest. Uniqueness is kind of an important concept in software development. The fact that the api can't provide this is a critical gap.
2b) The district id is missing. My backup plan was to generate a surrogate unique id by using the location of the contest. Unfortunately, this field is missing now, which makes it impossible to reliably generate any sort of unique surrogate key.
2c) The referendumSubtitle is missing and was replaced by the referendumText. This was an easy thing to recover from. But it's frustrating that the data in the API seems to move around without any sort of notice. #BackwardsCompatibility

Issues 1, 2a, and 2b, make the Civic data completely useless for my use case and I suspect many other people's use cases. I have 2 questions at this point.

#1 Can these issues above be fixed in future elections?

#2 If not, then is anyone else interested in building an alternative to this project? This just isn't working for me at all.

Really disappointed.

Trevor

Diana Eromosele

Nov 2, 2020, 3:04:12 AM11/2/20
to Google Civic Information API
Hello, is there a reason why the candidate dictionary no longer has a channels property that contains data about each candidate's social media account handles? The API for the 2016 midterm elections contained such a property that could be parsed for a candidate's Twitter and Facebook handles.

Please consider adding that property back to the response shape moving forward. Thank you in advance.

Justin Quizon

Nov 3, 2020, 4:07:01 PM11/3/20
to Google Civic Information API
Hi Diana,

You can instead use the "representativeInfoByAddress" to find information about each candidate's social media handles. You can find more details about this field in our documentation here:

For example, you can send a query to the API to look for "representativeInfoByAddress.officials.channels" which will display each of their social media account information.

"officials": [
    {
      "channels": [
        {
          "type": "Facebook",
          "id": "DonaldTrump"
        },
        {
          "type": "Twitter",
          "id": "potus"
        },
        {
          "type": "YouTube",
          "id": "whitehouse"
        }
      ]
    }

These handles can then be used to generate URLs such as the following:
Hope this helps!

Regards,
Justin

Diana Eromosele

Nov 3, 2020, 6:49:47 PM11/3/20
to Google Civic Information API
Hi Justin, yes I'm already aware of the channels property returned by the 'v2/representatives?address' endpoint. I already make use of that endpoint.

I was asking about the 'v2/voterinfo?address' endpoint. In 2016, that voterinfo endpoint had a channels property in its response shape (I know this because I used it). As you know, that endpoint is used to return the contests (and all of the candidates) that will appear on an election ballot. In 2016, I was able to use that endpoint to not only fetch data about the candidates running in an election, but also their social media accounts via the channels property.

To reiterate, this year, that endpoint (again, v2/voterinfo?address') did not return a channels property. Going forward, I hope the channels property can be reinserted into the the v2/voterinfo?address' endpoint. Thank you again.

yonatan landau

Jun 3, 2022, 12:31:24 PM6/3/22
to google-civ...@googlegroups.com
Are the 2022 elections availability information available? We want election info for the NY/IL primaries.

Is this email about getting on the phone? Schedule me here: www.calendly.com/theyoni

Terrance Cummings

Jun 5, 2022, 9:55:27 PM6/5/22
to Google Civic Information API
I am looking for this information as well.

rba...@google.com

Jun 6, 2022, 5:38:14 PM6/6/22
to Google Civic Information API
Hi All,
Baring an unforeseen circumstance, data for both the NY and IL primaries will be available in the API.
For more, please feel free to check out the planned 2022 cal here, and join the google group: vip-co...@googlegroups.com for the most up to date information regarding when this information will be surfaced in the API.

Hope this helps!