Accidentally deleted my project source files trying to use Google Chrome Workspaces in dev tools. Am I able to recover them?

Josh Kemmer

Jan 11, 2021, 1:31:39 PM1/11/21
to Chrome DevTools
I was trying to use Chrome Workspaces for the first time in dev tools so my changes in the inspection window would update in my local source files. My src folder appeared in the sources > overrides tab, and I thought it needed to be in sources > filesystem for tracking. I right clicked on the folder in overrides, and I believe hit "Delete folder from workspace" or something of the like. I thought this would just unsync dev tools from my local machine. Turns out, it was synced, and it deleted my source files. It didn't put them in my machine's recycle bin, and I couldn't undo the action in VS Code/MacOS Finder. Does Chrome have some sort of cache which would make these files recoverable? I didn't have the changes checked in.

Yang Guo

Jan 11, 2021, 2:09:27 PM1/11/21
to Google Chrome Developer Tools
I'm really really sorry that this happened to you! Unfortunately, these files are lost. I have heard of only one other case where this happened, but I definitely realize that when this happens, this can be very frustrating.

We need to change the DevTools UX to make this more explicit. I filed a tracking bug here.

Sorry again.

Cheers,

Yang

On Mon, Jan 11, 2021 at 7:31 PM Josh Kemmer <jo...@joshkemmer.com> wrote:
I was trying to use Chrome Workspaces for the first time in dev tools so my changes in the inspection window would update in my local source files. My src folder appeared in the sources > overrides tab, and I thought it needed to be in sources > filesystem for tracking. I right clicked on the folder in overrides, and I believe hit "Delete folder from workspace" or something of the like. I thought this would just unsync dev tools from my local machine. Turns out, it was synced, and it deleted my source files. It didn't put them in my machine's recycle bin, and I couldn't undo the action in VS Code/MacOS Finder. Does Chrome have some sort of cache which would make these files recoverable? I didn't have the changes checked in.

Josh Kemmer

Jan 11, 2021, 4:07:49 PM1/11/21
to Chrome DevTools
That's insane that it would just delete all of the source files with absolutely no way of recovery, especially without a warning dialog. It couldn't even put them in my system trash to be recovered? The option that I clicked said nothing about deleting anything locally on my machine, so I'm completely taken back. I can't even find the files with a data recovery tool! How do you guys handle those files being deleted? For how perfect dev tools is, a flaw like this seems completely out of place.