Advice on properly testing an editor add-on

Brett Grear

Oct 20, 2022, 4:51:14 PM10/20/22
to Google Apps Script Community
I have just created a new add-on for Google Slides and submitted for verification.  The OAuth scopes were verified no problem but I keep getting rejected from the Marketplace Reviews team due to the fact that the add-on won't work for them (understandable).

The problem is, I have tested the add-on on multiple different accounts, both Workspace and Gmail accounts and I have not encountered any errors at all.  The only error I could force was when I had multiple Google accounts logged in at once and the add-on got confused as to which account it was supposed to use (this is a known bug with Apps Script and I have since written code to notify a user if this is the case).

The reviewer said that they have only one account logged in so this could not be the cause.

Does anyone know what the Google Review process entails and how I could replicate the experience so that I can identify what bug they speak of.  The Google Cloud Console has not logged any errors other than the ones I have caused during testing.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Kind regards,

Brett

Clark Lind

Oct 21, 2022, 9:03:06 AM10/21/22
to Google Apps Script Community
The only thing I can think of is to double-check, triple-check, quadruple-check the scopes maybe? I would ask them to send you everything they have on any errors.

DimuDesigns

Oct 21, 2022, 11:32:13 AM10/21/22
to Google Apps Script Community
When the reviewers say that the Add-on doesn't work for them did they provide any specific errors?

When you configured your add-on from the Google Workspace Marketplace SDK/API, did you deploy/publish your add-on globally or to a specific region? If you published the add-on to a specific region try switching it to global.

Did you check the error logs from the Google Developer Console for the GCP project associated with the Add-on? If not, check those logs for any reported runtime errors.

As a last ditch attempt, get a paid Google Workspace account, create a new project with a copy of your existing source-code and re-deploy the add-on privately and test the install process. Private add-ons do not have to undergo a review, so its a viable way to test the install flow of your add-on before submitting it for public verification. The overhead of setting up duplicate projects is a pain but it grants you much more coverage in terms of testing.

Bruce Mcpherson

Oct 21, 2022, 1:04:55 PM10/21/22
to google-apps-sc...@googlegroups.com
Have you had anyone other than you (and google) test the app? Maybe there's a permissions issue that would affect everybody who's not you, or is not using your machine. Does it work in incognito mode?

I'm sure some people on here would be willing to try it out for you

Brett Grear

Oct 22, 2022, 8:24:40 AM10/22/22
to Google Apps Script Community
They didn't provide any information about errors.  I did ask.  The only thing they provided was a screenshot of the add-on which didn't give any suggestions as to what was the cause.
The add-on is published globally so it shouldn't be a region issue.
There are no error logs in the Developer console other than the ones that I caused during my own testing.
The account I'm developing on is a Workspace account.  I do have a second one though that I can try publishing it to privately. That''s a good idea.

I'm the only one that has tested the add-on but I have tested it on multiple different accounts and devices.  It works fine for me in incognito mode and normal mode.  I'm unable to recreate the error that the reviewer has said is happening.

What is the best way to share an add-on for others to try?  Do I need to share the actual Google Slides document that holds the code?  That's what I've been doing with my own test accounts.

Kind regards,

Brett

Bruce Mcpherson

Oct 22, 2022, 12:49:48 PM10/22/22
to google-apps-sc...@googlegroups.com
Best to see if you can hook up with someone in your timezone on a meet first and take them through it.

k prabhath

Oct 25, 2022, 10:36:31 PM10/25/22
to Google Apps Script Community
Let me know if you still need someone to help in testing the add-on.

Brett Grear

Nov 1, 2022, 5:45:55 PM11/1/22
to Google Apps Script Community
Yeh I would love it if you could help test the add-on.
What is the best way of sharing the add-on with someone to try.
Is it just a case of sharing the Spreadsheet as an editor?

Kind regards,

Brett

Brett Grear

Nov 28, 2022, 3:18:37 AM11/28/22
to Google Apps Script Community
Weirdly I waited a few weeks, created a new version and put up for approval again with no changes to the code and it was approved.
I have absolutely no idea what was 'wrong' with it in the first place.