AppSheet purchased by Google Cloud - News

Alan Wells

Jan 16, 2020, 9:28:27 AM1/16/20
to Google Apps Script Community
AppSheet is for creating apps.
If you don't want to write any code, you can use AppSheet to create an app.
It's "no-code" development.
There are probably pros and cons to no-code development.  I saw one comment comparing no-code development to surgery with no surgeon.  I suppose if a robot got better at surgery than a person, I might trust the robot more.  But how do you know?
AppSheet isn't free.  The lowest plan is $5 a month.
Google Cloud has acquired AppSheet.  Do I care? At first I thought, "Not really, it's just interesting news."
I guess that I do care in the sense that I want to be valued as a programmer, and no-code development feels like programmers are being thrown away in favor of something else.  The driving force behind this is development costs.  Even if an independent programmer only charged $5 dollars an hour, in two hours the customer would have paid $10 dollars, which is twice as much money as the $5 a month AppSheet plan.
And as people have less and less "disposable income", they won't want to hire a programmer.  I suppose that old, obsolete programmers could get a piece of cardboard, and write on it, "Will Work for Food"

Steve Webster

Jan 16, 2020, 11:07:05 AM1/16/20
to google-apps-sc...@googlegroups.com
Nice comments, Alan. Just a quick thought to share. Last year we created a basic CRM system using AppSheet. We supplemented it with some apps script where needed. We will demo Google AppSheet at our "G Suite Training & Automation" conference on FEB 20-21, 2020. Specifically, on FEB 21 for AppSheet demo. Learn more: GSuiteFlorida.com

Kind Regards,

Steve Webster
SW gApps LLC, President
Google Product Expert in: Google Apps Script, Drive, and Docs
Google Vendor (2012-2013) || Google Apps Developer Blog Guest Blogger
Add-ons: Text gBlaster and Remove Blank Rows

Andrew Roberts

Jan 16, 2020, 11:19:03 AM1/16/20
to google-apps-sc...@googlegroups.com
I'd noticed this purchase with interest too. Could be more work for us devs. I get a bit of work adding extra bells and whistles to the data entered via the AppSheet app UI.

Alan Wells

Alexandrina Garcia-Verdin

Jan 16, 2020, 6:34:22 PM1/16/20
to google-apps-sc...@googlegroups.com
+1 Alan. I would agree with this in my opinion.

Cheers
AGV

Alexandrina GV | G Suite Developer Advocate | a...@google.com | Sunnyvale, CA

On Thu, Jan 16, 2020 at 8:42 AM Alan Wells <aj.a...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Alan Wells

Jan 16, 2020, 10:51:52 PM1/16/20
to Google Apps Script Community
The Future's So Bright, I Gotta Wear Shades.
Google should buy me a free pair of sunglasses.  (I can't find a way to switch Google groups to dark mode)

Emeric HOCHART

Jan 17, 2020, 1:34:40 AM1/17/20
to google-apps-sc...@googlegroups.com
I share my experience with you.
I discovered appsheet recently because a student engineer used it for a business need.
The application demonstrated that it worked and we discovered apps script.
Now we refactor under GAS...

Great POC

Mike

Jan 17, 2020, 2:40:07 AM1/17/20
to google-apps-sc...@googlegroups.com
As a regular Appsheet+apps script user, I have found a place for both. Appsheet is great for rapidly prototyping data based apps (like from sheets). In 10’ almost anyone can have a functional app running that you can iterate on. From that point you can either (1) use it as is, (2) add back-end intelligence and automation using apps script (like i often do), or (3) re-build the app on an alternative platform that might scale better or have deeper features. For me, the difference is in the “ideation” stages. Do I need an iOS developer to understand the capabilities needed, or can identify capabilities needed in a more technology agnostic way. In most cases, “real programmers”, and certainly people with data and information architecture understanding, will be needed to scale or refine it - even if it stays “no-code”. No-code does not mean no information architecture needed (table and data relationships still required). There is no right or wrong. It’s just a great tool for the right use cases. Just my thoughts ...

Martin Hawksey

Jan 19, 2020, 10:31:28 AM1/19/20
to google-apps-sc...@googlegroups.com
A question I have is where does AppSheet fit with App Maker? I'm guessing AppSheet fits that Google Sheets hole in App Maker as well as being able to publish webforms for non-domain access. Anything else I'm missing?

On Fri, 17 Jan 2020 at 07:40, Mike <adler...@gmail.com> wrote:
As a regular Appsheet+apps script user, I have found a place for both.  Appsheet is great for rapidly prototype data based apps (like from sheets).  In 10’ almost anyone can have a functional app running that you can iterate on.  From that point you can either (1) use it as is, (2) add back-end intelligence and automation using apps script (like i often do), or (3) are-build the app on an alternative platform that might scale better or have deeper features.  For me, the difference is in the “ideation” stages.  Do I need an iOS developer to understand the capabilities need, or can identify capabilities needed in a more technology agnostic way.  In most cases, “real programmers”, and certainly people with data and information architecture understanding, will be needed to scale or refine it - even if it stays “no-code”.  No-code does not mean no information architecture needed (table and data relationships still required).  There is no right or wrong.  It’s just a great tool for the right use cases.  Just my thoughts ...

Martin Hawksey

Latest tweet (see how):

My little downtime project this year is to use #GoogleAppsScript to send some personalised images extending the G Suite based bulk email solution I shared earlier in the year... #GSuiteDevs https://t.co/mTHKQsULxT

— Martin Hawksey #altc (@mhawksey) December 24, 2019

Mike

Jan 20, 2020, 9:42:38 PM1/20/20
to Google Apps Script Community
I don’t know the long term strategy for Appsheet co-existing with App Maker. They take different approaches with Appsheet being “no-code” but heavily formula and configuration driven. I have not done much in App Maker, but seems like a “next step up” and more like “low code”. Merging the two would make for a very interesting tool set, serving a very broad range of citizen developers. No idea if that’s on the table but could get interesting. Just hoping they let the App Sheet team stay as responsive and user focused as they have been. Really great customer experience!

Alex

Jan 23, 2020, 1:47:00 AM1/23/20
to Google Apps Script Community
The best after this is to add indexes for Google Sheets rows.

Alex

Jan 27, 2020, 11:28:51 AM1/27/20
to Google Apps Script Community
I got it today

Dear Administrator,
We’re writing to let you know that due to low usage, the App Maker product will be shut down on January 19, 2021. Google Cloud will continue to invest in providing customers with best-in-class solutions in the low-code/no-code space. While we regret the inconvenience this may cause, we’re committed to helping your organization navigate this change.

Dimu Designs

Jan 27, 2020, 11:56:38 AM1/27/20
to google-apps-sc...@googlegroups.com
Wow...another piece of Google tech destined for the boneyard...Looks like Apps Sheet is App Maker's replacement.

CBM Services

Jan 27, 2020, 1:44:24 PM1/27/20
to google-apps-sc...@googlegroups.com
It is not surprising. It was not offering much more than what is already available with Google Sites. The Cloud Database was only clear new addition. But uf your DB is small enough to fit in a spreadsheet, then it is of little use.

It would have had a lot more appeal if it created mobile Apps.

Jan 27, 2020, 2:10:54 PM1/27/20
to google-apps-sc...@googlegroups.com
This totally missed the point.
AppMaker offered a low code MVC (= interface representing line data) which is totally missing otherwise and was extremely useful to stitch together the various Google Services in data driven / workflow automation scenarios.
Add data analysis with Data Studio and the potential was great.
We have been able to deliver and update apps very fast with AppMaker.
Now the burden it's in us the rewrite them (as if it were nothing) while they are already in production.
All the experience wasted.
A total loss of money and a serious blow to customer confidence.

CBMServices Web

Jan 27, 2020, 2:46:12 PM1/27/20
to google-apps-sc...@googlegroups.com
I beg to disagree. It certainly had potential but lack of mobile app support certainly discourages anyone from spending effort on it. There are many other easier ways to do MVC implementations and simple views are possible via Google sites directly with minimal html5.

I do feel for all who spent effort using it (and growing to love it). It will be a pain to redesign around it. But obviously you were not numerous enough to warrant its survival.