Email Reply Status (For emails that I haven't replied to)

Ian Clark

Sep 26, 2022, 6:05:24 PM9/26/22
to Google Apps Script Community
Hi

I am looking for a script to run daily that would label emails that were sent to me, but I have not replied to yet. Perhaps limiting it to only go back 30 days or another method to reduce emails that don't need to be replied from coming back on the next trigger.

I have found scripts for emails that I've sent but haven't received a reply and am waiting a response and also a search using "newer_than:1d AND -from:me" that seems to generate something close to that I'm looking for but I haven't been able to make a successful filter going that route.

The "Email Reply Status by cloudHQ" is a fancy extension for what I'm looking for but the extension gets flagged as under the advanced protection rules and I'd rather just run a daily script.

Clark Lind

Oct 5, 2022, 9:06:24 AM10/5/22
to Google Apps Script Community
It would depend on how you structure your inbox for the most effective/efficient approach. I personally use the "Inbox Zero" approach and try to keep my inbox empty. This means having a ton of folders/labels. If you are familiar with "Getting Things Done" (David Allen), all email can be broken down into 3 categories:  1) I need to take action on it; 2) save as reference; 3) not actionable, not reference material == garbage.

So before writing a script to handle your situation, do you read emails and know you have to reply later? If so, create a label for that purpose (like "Needs Reply") or something. Then the script can just check that folder, and/or your the Inbox for any unread emails less than say 2 weeks old.

Andrew Roberts

Oct 5, 2022, 9:25:26 AM10/5/22
to google-apps-sc...@googlegroups.com

Clark Lind

Oct 5, 2022, 10:49:38 AM10/5/22
to Google Apps Script Community
Nice blog post. Great job!

Clark Lind

Oct 5, 2022, 10:53:55 AM10/5/22
to Google Apps Script Community
p.s., I personally use a 4th category.. somewhere between @Action and Trash called @Transitory. Because of my work, there may be things that I think are trash, but aren't really long-term references either. So if I something is only 'potentially' actionable, I move it to @Transitory. Then I use a script to check for anything over 30 days and Trash it. lol