Tracking Login Activity via Devices

Michael Purdue

Nov 16, 2016, 6:14:34 PM11/16/16
to GAM for G Suite
I have a student who recently reported their school-owned Chromebook was stolen. This was around the end of October.

I checked their device via the administration panel, and saw that their assigned Chromebook has not been accessed since the first week of September. However, using the student's account and checking their login history, I saw that they were last using a Chrome OS device on October 27th.

Somehow, at some point, this student lost their Chromebook or had it stolen, and obtained another of the school owned Chromebooks for use. Unfortunately, Google is unable to see or provide the serial number of the Chrome OS device that they accessed previously. Because I need the serial number both to file the police report and to determine who was originally assigned the device, I need to know if there are any options through GAM.

It sounds like Google doesn't record the information on user accounts for where they were last accessed as part of their privacy policy.

Is there a way I can do a bulk operation against a CSV of all our device serial numbers, to pull their recent login history, and then push any of those devices to a new CSV where his user name occurs in the list of recent accounts? I know the data is there via admin but I can't go through 5,000 devices one by one.

Thank you for your time!

+KimNilsson

Nov 18, 2016, 6:26:47 AM11/18/16
to GAM for G Suite
Open those CSVs in a spreadsheet and use VLOOKUP.

Michael Purdue

Nov 22, 2016, 2:02:29 PM11/22/16
to GAM for G Suite
The CSV is not the issue. I need to be able to run a command with GAM in order to look at each device in Google to see if the student's username is in the list of recent users for that device.

If there is a command where I can simply export the recent users of a device then that would work as well and then I could export the data from all devices and look for the user. But I can not find parameters to view that particular data.

Ross Scroggs

Nov 22, 2016, 2:38:12 PM11/22/16
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
Michael,

gam print cros recentusers > crosuser.csv

Headers:

deviceId,recentUsers.email,recentUsers.type

Ross

Karl Hehr

Ross Scroggs

Richard Humphrey

Nov 29, 2016, 10:30:24 AM11/29/16
to GAM for G Suite
 Lik eLim said with a CSV. If you use the chrome inventory tool and export all devices in your domain. You can then do a Ctrl +F and search the user name. You will then see all the managed devices the user logged into.
Just a thought

Michael Purdue

Nov 29, 2016, 11:07:39 AM11/29/16
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
That method worked! I just ran 'gam print cros full > RecentUsers.csv' and searched for the user name. I actually had a second situation arise where I needed this information yesterday - We found a student's password was compromised and caught three other students logging in on their devices with the stolen credentials.

Sincerely,

Michael K. Purdue
Assistant Network Administrator

Technology Department