Google Group Command to Disable Conversation Mode

Art Trerice

May 27, 2022, 11:25:07 AM5/27/22
to GAM for Google Workspace
Hi,

Is there a GAM command available for disabling conversation mode on Google Groups?  I looked through all the options on a group using "gam whatis" and I don't even see that as an option in there.

Thanks,

Art

Ian Crew

May 27, 2022, 11:28:11 AM5/27/22
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
Just so I can better understand:

Do you perhaps mean conversation mode in Google Mail? Or are you referring to how things are shown in a Google Group archive, like at https://groups.google.com/g/google-apps-manager ?

Cheers,

Ian

Ian Crew

Solutions Architect
Productivity & Collaboration Services
Berkeley IT

Jay Lee

May 27, 2022, 11:28:41 AM5/27/22
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
No, there is no API for this and thus no way for GAM to do it.

FWIW I do not recommend bulk turning off this setting for users. Conversation mode can be jarring for first time users but with time they get used to it and find it easier to use.

Jay Lee

Arthur Trerice

May 27, 2022, 11:40:35 AM5/27/22
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for a quick response!  We'll leave conversation view alone for now then and revisit later if needed.

Art

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "GAM for Google Workspace" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-apps-manager/CA%2BVVBp9QfrUjhb%3Dy3a8BR4wUJPfYiu7uVHte41o2BshgshzveQ%40mail.gmail.com.

--

Art Trerice
Sr. Systems Administrator

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

This e-mail message and any attachments are only for the use of the intended recipient and may contain information that is privileged, confidential or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, distribution or other use of this e-mail message or attachments is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail message in error, please delete and notify the sender immediately. Thank you.

John Voegtlin

Jul 1, 2022, 1:26:34 PM7/1/22
to GAM for Google Workspace
I don't want to turn it off, but the users I'm trying to convert from Workspace account to Collaborative Inbox Google Group apparently cannot do their work with conversation view on.
Is there a way, GAM or not, to turn this off? I can't find a current answer.

https://www.linkedin.com/company/4797535/ http://www.twitter.com/acctinfo http://www.facebook.com/acctinfo

*** We hope to see all of you in-person for our 33rd Annual International Conference & Expo February 9 - 12th, 2023 in Portland, OR. For association information please visit www.acctinfo.org***

Notice of Confidentiality

The information contained in and transmitted with this e-mail is CONFIDENTIAL. It is intended only for the individual or entity designated. You are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, copying, or use of or reliance upon the information contained in and transmitted with this email by or to anyone other than the recipient designated above by the sender is UNAUTHORIZED and STRICTLY PROHIBITED. If you have received this email in error, please notify this office immediately and upon authorization by sender destroy the information contained herein.

Jay Lee

Jul 1, 2022, 1:31:56 PM7/1/22
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
The answer is the same I gave in May, no. There's no way for GAM to do this.

Have the users received training on Google Workspace? In my experience "I can't do my job with this" is code for "I don't know how to use the tools I've been given".

Training and Change Management are absolutely vital to a successful Workspace deployment. Unfortunately I haven't figured out how to do those with GAM just yet 😁

Jay

John Voegtlin

Jul 1, 2022, 1:41:58 PM7/1/22
to GAM for Google Workspace
nah, they're just weird.
They're a group of volunteers who have been doing things they way they like for many years using a personal gmail account, and then a workspace account, and while they don't use any of the other services in Workspace that would make moving them to a Google Group a non-starter, the way they've been using their email requires separating out replies, and organizing mail into labels (out of the default view, not just labeled but still there), so that's two strikes against moving them to a group, it's probably not going to happen, sadly (the labels not being as functional for organization as gmail labels and the conversation view being not just the default but the only view mode).