gam reports account:disabled_reason missing

Daniel Schwartz

Oct 24, 2017, 12:26:16 PM10/24/17
to GAM for G Suite
Hi -

I have a program that's been running for awhile now that processes the date that is stored in the "accounts:disabled_reason" field of the report (from the "gam report users" command).  Today when it ran, the field was completely missing.  Is there a way to contact google and request that they restore that field?  Did they announce a change to the API?  Here's a link to the description of the fields -

Thanks -- Dan

Jay Lee

Oct 24, 2017, 1:32:56 PM10/24/17
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
Can you file a bug for this?

Background: sometimes API doesn't return all fields in a report. I *think* the API notes this in the API response with possibly a reason and/or detail on when that data was last reported but currently GAM doesn't check that data, it just sees no response.

Dan Schwartz

Oct 24, 2017, 2:07:42 PM10/24/17
to Google Apps Manager
Hi Jay -

I noticed some of the older bugs that I had filed on google's issue tracker that someone had posted "We are marking this issue as Obsolete as this issue tracker is no longer monitored by the team responsible for this API service.
If this is a technical issue you still need assistance with, please post to the appropriate tag on Stack Overflow: http://www.stackoverflow.com"
​

Is that the correct place to report API bugs? or did you mean on the GAM "issues" github page?

​I found an old post that I had made regarding the same issue in 2011 - https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/36757457 saying that the reporting api would return the suspension date.​

--
Dan Schwartz | LTS - Systems Engineering  | Lehigh University | da...@lehigh.edu | (610) 758-5061

On Tue, Oct 24, 2017 at 12:26 PM, Daniel Schwartz <da...@lehigh.edu> wrote:
Hi -

I have a program that's been running for awhile now that processes the date that is stored in the "accounts:disabled_reason" field of the report (from the "gam report users" command).  Today when it ran, the field was completely missing.  Is there a way to contact google and request that they restore that field?  Did they announce a change to the API?  Here's a link to the description of the fields -

Thanks -- Dan

Jay Lee

Oct 24, 2017, 2:09:00 PM10/24/17
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
BTW,

gam print users suspended

includes the "suspensionReason" column and is much more realtime than the user report is (which lags 24-48 hours).

Jay

[...]

Dan Schwartz

Oct 24, 2017, 2:54:42 PM10/24/17
to Google Apps Manager
Unfortunately the suspensionReason is always just "ADMIN".  It does not include the date it was suspended.

--
Dan Schwartz | LTS - Systems Engineering  | Lehigh University | da...@lehigh.edu | (610) 758-5061

Michel Fasen

Oct 24, 2017, 4:01:02 PM10/24/17
to GAM for G Suite
We have the same issue, when specifically requesting the "accounts:disabled_reason" parameter, the error returned by the API is error 400 "Invalid parameter name disabled_reason for application accounts. For more information, see https://developers.google.com/admin-sdk/reports/."

I've opened a ticket with Google and when I get any feedback I'll post it here.

Michel

Michel Fasen

Oct 24, 2017, 4:51:20 PM10/24/17
to GAM for G Suite
It's a known issue and they're currently working on resolving it. The issue report number is 68173315.

Michel

+KimNilsson

Oct 25, 2017, 7:32:35 AM10/25/17
to GAM for G Suite
Last I heard suspensionReason never had a proper date.

So other tools, like GAT (generalaudittool .com) save that information as metadata in their aggregation of data.
but, it only works for future data, of course. You can't get historic data of when someone was suspended if that was more than six months ago, since it's outside the scope of the audit log.

Jay Lee

Oct 25, 2017, 7:50:08 AM10/25/17
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
Out of curiosity, why does it matter when the account was suspended? What's use case for needing to know that?

Jay

Dan Schwartz

Oct 25, 2017, 8:17:51 AM10/25/17
to Google Apps Manager
Hi Jay -

When someone leaves the school, we automatically suspend their g-suite account for a year in case they later register for a class or show up again (adjuncts that only work one term a year, etc.), it's a simple matter to restore it.  In the case where they've been gone for a year, we then initiate a process to transfer shared files to people whom they've been shared with prior to permanently deleting their accounts.

We have logs of our automated process which show when we disabled the account, but if it was manually altered through the admin console, we don't have records of that action.  So it's safer to use the disabled date from the accounts report.

Dan

--

On Oct 25, 2017 7:32 AM, "+KimNilsson" <there.is.no.substitute@gmail.com> wrote:
Last I heard suspensionReason never had a proper date.

So other tools, like GAT (generalaudittool .com) save that information as metadata in their aggregation of data.
but, it only works for future data, of course. You can't get historic data of when someone was suspended if that was more than six months ago, since it's outside the scope of the audit log.

Michel Fasen

Oct 30, 2017, 3:24:24 PM10/30/17
to GAM for G Suite
We use it for a similar reason as well, having a suspension date can be very useful.

Latest update is that the field also contained some internal information. As a result they removed the attribute so it can be tagged as feature request instead of bug (I'm not making this up, official Google response).

Not surprised by this unfortunately.