Looking to delegate shared mail based on group membership

Jaap Stoel

Apr 8, 2022, 12:28:36 PM4/8/22
to GAM for Google Workspace
I've got a lot of users in (dynamic) groups. And I'd like to use a GAM command (or set of commands) to easily delegate access to a shared mail box for all members of a user group.
I've tried "gam user sharedmail delegate to usgergroup" but that returns an error 400 Invalid delegate.
Would anyone know what command I'd have to use to do this?

Maj Marshall Giguere

Apr 8, 2022, 3:08:26 PM4/8/22
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
I don't think groups can be delegates, only users.

--
Maj Marshall E Giguere
NH Wing Director of IT

Volunteers serving America's communities, saving lives, and shaping futures.

Jaap Stoel

Apr 11, 2022, 6:09:36 AM4/11/22
to GAM for Google Workspace
Yeah not directly anyway. I was wondering if it'd be possible to run a batch of commands. One to draw the group membership to a csv, and from there on give the users in the csv delegate access.

Ross Scroggs

Apr 11, 2022, 9:30:56 AM4/11/22
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com

Jaap Stoel

Apr 11, 2022, 9:35:38 AM4/11/22
to GAM for Google Workspace
That gives share...@domain.com access to all the users in the group.
I want to flip it around and give all users in the group access to sharedmail.
If I go gam user share...@domain.com delegate to group gr...@domain.com it returns an error.

Maj Marshall Giguere

Apr 11, 2022, 9:38:32 AM4/11/22
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
> gam redirect csv ./delegates.csv print group-members group <group email> role member fields email
> gam csv ./delegates.csv gam user <shared email> add delegate user ~email

Maj Marshall E Giguere
NH Wing Director of IT
Civil Air Patrol, U.S. Air Force Auxiliary

Volunteers serving America's communities, saving lives, and shaping futures.

Ross Scroggs

Apr 11, 2022, 9:55:20 AM4/11/22
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
Jaap,

Marsh is more awake than I am; However, the limit of 10 delegators still applies:

His answer uses Advanced GAM, here is the Standard GAM solution.
> gam print group-members group <group email> role member fields email > ./delegates.csv
> gam csv ./delegates.csv gam user <shared email> add delegate ~email

In either case, Marsh's solution is selecting role member, it you want owners and managers as well, drop role member

Kim Nilsson

Apr 11, 2022, 12:43:05 PM4/11/22
to GAM for Google Workspace
Delegating Gmail per group is an upcoming feature.

Oh, so one user can only have access to 10 other delegated mailboxes?

Dennis Mattei

Apr 11, 2022, 1:13:09 PM4/11/22
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
I have access to 22...

I am curious about these limitations too.

On Mon, Apr 11, 2022 at 12:43 PM Kim Nilsson <there.is.no...@gmail.com> wrote:
Delegating Gmail per group is an upcoming feature.

Oh, so one user can only have access to 10 other delegated mailboxes?

This message contains information which may be confidential and/or protected by attorney-client privilege.  Unless you are the addressee, you may not use, copy or disclose to anyone this message or any information contained in this message.  If you have received this message in error, please send me an email and delete this message.   Thank you.

Maj Marshall Giguere

Apr 11, 2022, 1:55:53 PM4/11/22
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com

Turn Gmail delegation on or off

Your users may want to give access to their Gmail account to another person. Mail delegation lets delegated users read, send, and delete messages on the account owner's behalf. For example, executives can delegate Gmail access to an administrative assistant.

As an administrator, you decide whether to make this option available to your users. After you turn on delegation, your users can go to their Gmail settings to assign delegates.

Note: You can also delegate users for Google Calendar and Google Contacts.

A single Gmail account supports up to 1000 delegates. With typical use, 40 delegated users can access a Gmail account at the same time. Above-average use by one or more delegates might reduce this number. Automated processes that frequently access Gmail might also reduce the number of delegates who can access an account at the same time. These processes include APIs or browser extensions that access Gmail frequently.

Maj Marshall E Giguere
NH Wing Director of IT
Civil Air Patrol, U.S. Air Force Auxiliary

Volunteers serving America's communities, saving lives, and shaping futures.

Andreas Schwarzkopf

Aug 25, 2022, 6:30:31 AM8/25/22
to GAM for Google Workspace
Did someone managed to find out how to delegate an account (shared mailbox) to a Group ? (to the individuals in the group). According to the Google Update Blog it should work, but no idea about the GAM command.
" Delegate access to a shared inbox using a group address
You can now give an entire Google Group access to your Gmail account through mail delegation. With this feature, delegated users can read, send, and delete messages on the account owner's behalf. We hope this will enable teams to more effectively process incoming requests and tasks via a single shared email address. | Available to Business Starter, Business Standard, Business Plus, Enterprise Standard, Enterprise Plus, Education Fundamentals, Education Plus, Frontline, Nonprofits, and legacy G Suite Basic and Business customers only. | Learn more. "

Jay Lee

Aug 25, 2022, 7:09:28 AM8/25/22
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
There's a setting in the admin console to allow delegating to a Group. Sometimes it'll take 24 hours after enabling the setting for it to start working.

Then the GAM command is exactly the same, just specify the group email instead of the user.

Jay

Jaap Stoel

Aug 25, 2022, 7:10:44 AM8/25/22
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
Oh that's new I believe. Where can I find that setting?

Met vriendelijke groet,
Jaap Stoel
Functioneel beheerder zorg
Tel: 06 12306517
Woensdagmiddag vrij

De ICT ondersteuning binnen Driezorg loopt vanaf heden via SIEP meldingensysteem.

Op do 25 aug. 2022 om 13:09 schreef Jay Lee <jay...@gmail.com>:
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "GAM for Google Workspace" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-apps-manager/CA%2BVVBp_yiHYB7_bk2qgNbjDH%2BDLckVhYFp1xC%3DaOv-Z5qLYcdA%40mail.gmail.com.

Kim Nilsson

Aug 25, 2022, 7:17:31 AM8/25/22
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
Same place where you manage the other Gmail Delegation settings.

/Kim
--
There is No Substitute!

Jaap Stoel

Markus Frömmel

Nov 30, 2022, 7:20:22 AM11/30/22
to GAM for Google Workspace
I can confirm the google feature works, however it does not work with gam. Gam can not add groups delegates nor does it see delegated groups that have been added in the web interface.

Is this something that could be implemented Ross?

Kind Regards, Markus

Jay Lee

Nov 30, 2022, 7:24:10 AM11/30/22
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
Delegating mailboxes to a group does work iny testing. Make sure group delegation is enabled in the admin console Gmail settings and give it 24 hours. Delegating a mailbox to a group is the EXACT same command with GAM, just specify a group email address.

Jay

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "GAM for Google Workspace" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-apps-manager/54eab5f9-ac1f-4011-815b-870d99d86e83n%40googlegroups.com.

Markus Frömmel

Dec 5, 2022, 6:19:51 PM12/5/22
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
indeed after 24h it fully worked with GAM too. I was confused because in the front end it worked immediately.

Thanks!