Custom domain redirecting to appspot URL

Himanshu Kapoor

Jan 31, 2017, 5:49:03 AM1/31/17
to Google App Engine
Hi Guys,

I have mapped custom domain in my application but it redirects to my appspot URL.

check below URL:

Note: Previously this domain was hosted on some other google project and was working fine from which there i removed it (including verification) and hosted on different google project.

Can anyone help me in figuring out this.

Thanks

Alex (Cloud Platform Support)

Jan 31, 2017, 5:54:03 PM1/31/17
to Google App Engine

Hi Himanshu,

As your application is hosted on a GAE Flexible environment instance (since redirected URL includes *.appspot-preview.com), custom domains need to be whitelisted as mentioned in this Before you Begin section. In the third point, it is possible to whitelist the domains by filling out this Google contact form. However, as this form is currently unavailable, you will be contacted by email shortly to provide additional information regarding your project.

Fernando Gonzalez

Feb 1, 2017, 2:50:23 PM2/1/17
to Google App Engine
Hi Alex, I think I have the same problem: my custom domain keeps being redirected to *.appspot-preview.com

Is this solved by whitelisting it? How can I do that? https://miwinkel.com

Thanks

Alex (Cloud Platform Support)

Feb 2, 2017, 3:41:54 PM2/2/17
to Google App Engine

Hi Fernando,

It does seem that your issue may be solved by whitelisting your custom domain as well and you will be contacted by email shortly to provide additional information regarding your project.

For anyone reading this post in future and experiencing the same issue, it will be necessary to proceed as this Custom Domains Inquiry form advises and wait for it to become available for further assistance.

Regards,

Kartik S Kumar

Feb 6, 2017, 9:05:00 PM2/6/17
to Google App Engine
Hi Alex,

I have the same issue. Can you please whitelist my custom domain.
Message has been deleted

Matthew Tew

Feb 8, 2017, 12:43:20 PM2/8/17
to Google App Engine
Hi Alex,

I also need to have a domain whitelisted.  We actually had it working before, but the project got shutdown accidentally.  When we relaunched it now does the forwarding to the appspot-preview and is causing issues within our app.  We'd like to get this fixed as soon as possible.

Thanks,
Matt

Alex (Cloud Platform Support)

Feb 8, 2017, 6:02:21 PM2/8/17
to Google App Engine
For future reference, it will be necessary to follow any updates provided on the Custom Domains Inquiry form.

Aron Adler

Feb 9, 2017, 11:02:43 AM2/9/17
to Google App Engine
Hi,

I have the same problem. Could someone please advise on how to whitelist my custom domain now that the whitelist request form is gone?

Thanks

Alex (Cloud Platform Support)

Feb 15, 2017, 11:15:27 AM2/15/17
to Google App Engine

Good news, it seems like this redirection issue has now been resolved. Custom domains listed on Flexible Environment App Engine instances should work as prescribed without redirecting to an appspot.com URL.

Regards,

Alex

Himanshu Kapoor

Feb 16, 2017, 5:06:14 AM2/16/17
to Google App Engine
Thanks Alex, It's working now.

Mario Gallegos

Feb 17, 2017, 3:45:26 PM2/17/17
to Google App Engine
Hello Alex, I just tested it and it is not working for me.

Is it supposed to be fixed for everyone? or just a few?

John Lowry

Feb 17, 2017, 4:21:43 PM2/17/17
to Google App Engine
Hi,

We made a change this morning which causes some App Engine Flexible apps to redirect to appspot-preview.com

If this is causing an issue for you, please create a support case and we will provide help.

John Lowry

Joe Marino

Feb 17, 2017, 5:44:48 PM2/17/17
to Google App Engine
stop linking to this form. it's been down for a few months

Joe Marino

Feb 17, 2017, 5:44:49 PM2/17/17
to Google App Engine
already had to change my code to call the appspot-preview. thanks for the unannounced change which broke my app for an entire day.

Mario Gallegos

Feb 17, 2017, 6:05:05 PM2/17/17
to Google App Engine
Thanks John, but what i'm trying yo do is to avoid my app to redirect to appspot-preview.com and use my custom domain instead.

Gene Linetsky

Feb 18, 2017, 11:09:28 AM2/18/17
to Google App Engine
Same here... Any news?

Gene Linetsky

Feb 18, 2017, 11:09:28 AM2/18/17
to Google App Engine
How am I supposed to create a support case? There's no option except via signing up for paid support.

Google broke my app and now wants me to pay to fix it?

Come on.

John Lowry

Feb 20, 2017, 12:09:56 AM2/20/17
to Google App Engine, gene.l...@gmail.com
Can you send me your app ID and I will provide help.

AGoogleUser 100

Feb 21, 2017, 7:38:23 AM2/21/17
to Google App Engine
I sent you a private message with my app ID. Please help. This is not normal.

Nickolas Daskalou

Feb 22, 2017, 9:23:09 AM2/22/17
to Google App Engine
John this is happening to us too.

What is your private email address so I can PM you our app details?

David Miller

Feb 22, 2017, 6:44:22 PM2/22/17
to Google App Engine
We appear to be having the same issue - also can't get subdomains to map to a service. - Flexible environment with a container.

Prokop Simek

Feb 23, 2017, 9:04:07 AM2/23/17
to Google App Engine
We have the same issue.

Andrei Botezatu

Feb 23, 2017, 11:08:58 AM2/23/17
to Google App Engine
We also have the same issue. Google WTF are you doing, this is not good, we pay for your services.

Joseph Reisinger

Feb 23, 2017, 2:43:23 PM2/23/17
to Google App Engine
Hi Alex-

I'm seeing this issue with a newly deployed app engine instance. Is it possible to get my domain whitelisted?

Thanks

—jr

Anthony Davis

Feb 23, 2017, 9:58:59 PM2/23/17
to Google App Engine
Same issue here...

Aron Adler

Feb 24, 2017, 5:44:07 AM2/24/17
to Google App Engine
Could we clarify exactly what the issue here is? Everything was working for a couple of days, why did it go back to redirecting to the appspot domain?

Also seeing as everyone seems to be having the same issue it doesn't really make sense for everyone to create separate support tickets. Can we get someone from Google to clarify what can be done to fix this?

Robert Gaal

Feb 24, 2017, 10:44:30 AM2/24/17
to Google App Engine
+1. This is a huge issue for any production app running on App Engine.

Lorne Kligerman

Feb 24, 2017, 3:54:54 PM2/24/17
to Google App Engine
Hi folks,

We recently migrated all traffic from the appspot-preview.com domain back to the regular appspot.com as we approach a full release.  The regression you noticed was due to an issue that came up as all beta traffic moved into the full time stack.  We quickly identified the issue and have a fix coming shortly.  We apologize for the strange behaviour, but please be aware that flex is still a beta product.  We will do our best to avoid issues like this in the future.

Cheers,
Lorne.
Product Manager - App Engine

Nickolas Daskalou

Feb 26, 2017, 8:11:20 PM2/26/17
to Google App Engine
Hi Lorne,

How is this coming along?

Our Flex service is still being redirected to appspot-preview.com.

This is also causing havoc with our dispatch rules. It seems we are unable to send any requests to the default version of our Flex service unless we have a "catch all" dispatch rule to the Flex service at the end of our dispatch.yaml file (which is not possible given our application architecture).

We have tried changing the dispatch rule to both appspot.com and appspot-preview.com and nothing works.

The only way we can currently access our Flex service is by linking to the specific version of the service. This is obviously not going to work if we use the best practice method of changing versions upon each new deployment, because all other projects which reference a specific version of our Flex service would also need to be updated.

Happy to provide more information if needed.

Thanks,
Nick

Azmaan Onies

Feb 27, 2017, 9:09:46 AM2/27/17
to Google App Engine
When is this going to be resolved? Are we looking at hours, days or weeks?

Sean Lynch

Feb 27, 2017, 9:32:57 AM2/27/17
to Google App Engine
The "Before you Begin" appears to no longer mention anything regarding the whitelisting requirement.  We attempted to migrate our site from GoDaddy to App Engine but had to abort due to the redirect issue.  Where is best place to subscribe to know when this has been resolved.  This thread?

On Tuesday, January 31, 2017 at 5:54:03 PM UTC-5, Alex (Cloud Platform Support) wrote:

Hi Himanshu,

As your application is hosted on a GAE Flexible environment instance (since redirected URL includes *.appspot-preview.com), custom domains need to be whitelisted as mentioned in this Before you Begin section. In the third point, it is possible to whitelist the domains by filling out this Google contact form. However, as this form is currently unavailable, you will be contacted by email shortly to provide additional information regarding your project.

Josh Moore

Feb 27, 2017, 12:21:21 PM2/27/17
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
This thread is the best place for the most up to date information on this issue right now and we'll update once we have a fix fully rolled out.

Josh Moore | Cloud Solutions Engineer | josh...@google.com |

Nickolas Daskalou

Mar 2, 2017, 6:42:40 AM3/2/17
to Google App Engine
Hi Josh and other Googlers,

How's this going? Do you have an update or an ETA?

Nick

Lorne Kligerman

Mar 2, 2017, 10:03:08 AM3/2/17
to Google App Engine
If you haven't already noticed the lack of a redirect for your app, it should happen very soon. Thanks!

On Mar 2, 2017 3:42 AM, "Nickolas Daskalou" <ni...@daskalou.com> wrote:
Hi Josh and other Googlers,

How's this going? Do you have an update or an ETA?

Nick

Nickolas Daskalou

Mar 2, 2017, 10:38:35 AM3/2/17
to Google App Engine

Thanks Lorne, I can confirm it's working as expected now for our app  (that is, visiting appspot.com URLs for a Flex service no longer redirects to appspot-preview.com).

Just a heads up that the appspot-preview.com URLs still work fine too. Is this something which will be turned off eventually?

Nick

Lorne Kligerman

Mar 2, 2017, 12:20:16 PM3/2/17
to Google App Engine
Great, I'm glad you're in the clear!

The appspot-preview.com will continue to work for the foreseeable future.

Cheers,
Lorne.

On Thu, Mar 2, 2017 at 7:38 AM, Nickolas Daskalou <ni...@daskalou.com> wrote:

Thanks Lorne, I can confirm it's working as expected now for our app  (that is, visiting appspot.com URLs for a Flex service no longer redirects to appspot-preview.com).

Just a heads up that the appspot-preview.com URLs still work fine too. Is this something which will be turned off eventually?

Nick

Oren Zomer

Mar 13, 2017, 12:15:24 PM3/13/17
to Google App Engine
Hi,
It seems there are no more redirections from the appspot.com subdomains to appspot-preview.com subdomains.
This was a big issue in our iOS App, which sent an Authorization header in the first request to the appspot.com subdomain but not in the second request to the appspot-preview.com subdomain.
Our production app sends its requests to our custom godaddy domain listed here: https://console.cloud.google.com/appengine/settings/domains (which also has an SSL certificate - we use https in all of the requests).

Is it guaranteed that the the redirection will not happen again in the future?
Can we change our yaml file from vm: true to env: flex , without disrupting the communication between our iOS App and our servers?

Regards,
Oren

On Tuesday, January 31, 2017 at 12:49:03 PM UTC+2, himanshu kapoor wrote:
Hi Guys,

I have mapped custom domain in my application but it redirects to my appspot URL.

check below URL:

Note: Previously this domain was hosted on some other google project and was working fine from which there i removed it (including verification) and hosted on different google project.

Can anyone help me in figuring out this.

Thanks

Lorne Kligerman

Mar 13, 2017, 2:05:17 PM3/13/17
to Google App Engine
Hi Oren,

The appspot-preview.com domain was used while flex was in beta as we migrated traffic over to our production environments.  Now that flex is GA you don't have to worry about any more redirections in the future.  You can head over to env: flex with confidence!

Cheers,
Lorne.