Does 1 service = 1 instance (thus potentially cost more)?

asmith26

Mar 6, 2018, 3:58:55 PM3/6/18
to Google App Engine
Hi there,

I am trying to determine if I should break my GAE project from one service to multiple smaller services.

Does each service added cost 1 more instance hour? Looking at the following chart, it would indicate it might:

Hierarchy graph of services/versions/instances

Thus I am wondering if 1 app running only 1 instance would be cheaper than running multiple services?

Many thanks for any help in advance!

Mihail Russu

Mar 6, 2018, 4:18:46 PM3/6/18
to Google App Engine
Your app isn't limited by one instance whether you have one or more services up (i.e. the more traffic you get - the more instances wil be fired up even if you only have one service).

Anyways, yes, you are correct - adding additional services will require new / separate instances to be running so in many cases it will slightly increase the cost.

asmith26

Mar 6, 2018, 4:43:33 PM3/6/18
to Google App Engine
Thank you for your answer - can I ask what the advantages of multiple services app are on a single service (default) app? Perhaps if a particular service is requested multiple times, and that service is significantly smaller that a single service app, it may be cheaper due to smaller bandwidth costs??

Many thanks again for your help!

Mihail Russu

Mar 6, 2018, 4:51:11 PM3/6/18
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
If it’s a large & complex app - it might make sense to split some parts of its code into separate logical services.

And yeah, a smaller app probably would load a lot faster than a complex one so I don’t think that would have anything to do with bandwidth costs but would definitely help with reducing the latency on launching new instances.

Also, you might want to look into microservices ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microservices ) where the approach is to split the app into as many small micro app as possible in order to make the development of the app easier...

asmith26

Katayoon (Cloud Platform Support)

Mar 6, 2018, 6:32:18 PM3/6/18
to Google App Engine

I would like to add that here you can find how instances are managed in App Engine and how you are billed for them.

Attila-Mihaly Balazs

Mar 7, 2018, 12:56:23 AM3/7/18
to Google App Engine
Just to add to that: some reasons to use multiple services regardless if you want to structure your app as microservices or not:

- on GAE standard instance types and scaling mechanisms are tied together. So if you need F instance types for some part of the workload and B types for some other part, you need to create separate services
- if you need to run multiple languages (ie. some part of your system is in Java and some part is in Python), those can live together in the same project but they need to be different services

Cheers,
Attila