api-proxy container and nginx proxy container in GAE instance

Elan Gamer

Sep 11, 2019, 7:52:26 AM9/11/19
to Google App Engine
I started GAE using flex env/Docker file that runs ubuntu and when I ssh to the instance I can see 6 containers .
2 stackdriver related containers
1 api-proxy
1 nginx proxy
1 iap_watcher

Trying to understand why we need api-proxy and nginx proxy?

Aref Amiri (Cloud Platform Support)

Sep 11, 2019, 1:49:28 PM9/11/19
to Google App Engine
Hi Elan,

API Proxy is a Docker container running on Flex VMs that provides an error message to non-whitelisted apps that attempt to use back-end operations for legacy App Engine API calls.

Moreover, the Nginx proxy forwards requests to the App Engine application. These requests could include static file serving, admin ACL handlers, request queuing, logging on incoming requests and monitoring of request latency.

Elan Gamer

Sep 12, 2019, 8:27:41 AM9/12/19
to Google App Engine

Elliott (Cloud Platform Support)

Sep 12, 2019, 8:53:22 PM9/12/19
to Google App Engine
Hello Elan,

Thank you for posting your scenario to Stackoverflow. That is the correct forum to have your technical questions answered. You will now benefit from and be assisted by the programming community.