Error sending email: The API call mail.Send() required more quota than is available.

Richard Cheesmar

Sep 20, 2016, 9:06:14 AM9/20/16
to Google App Engine
Hi,

I'm getting below Error when sending an email via the task queue
Error sending email: The API call mail.Send() required more quota than is available. I think 11 emails were sent today thus far, and now they are not sending...

Any idea what the problem is?

app name is emlak-air and the version is beta

Cheers

Alex Martelli

Sep 20, 2016, 12:38:47 PM9/20/16
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Sep 20, 2016 at 6:06 AM, Richard Cheesmar <cheza...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,

I'm getting below Error when sending an email via the task queue
Error sending email: The API call mail.Send() required more quota than is available. I think 11 emails were sent today thus far, and now they are not sending...

As detailed in https://cloud.google.com/appengine/docs/quotas , the default quota for sending mails (and the non-raisable free quota for apps w/o billing) is indeed 10; see that page about raising your quota a bit (if you have billing enabled) and about alternatives such as sendgrid.

Alex

Any idea what the problem is?

app name is emlak-air and the version is beta

Cheers

Richard Cheesmar

Sep 20, 2016, 12:59:26 PM9/20/16
to Google App Engine
Ok, the site cannot send out emails at all

Any chance of a Google response to this?

Alex Martelli

Sep 20, 2016, 1:06:59 PM9/20/16
On Tue, Sep 20, 2016 at 9:59 AM, Richard Cheesmar <cheza...@gmail.com> wrote:
Ok, the site cannot send out emails at all

Any chance of a Google response to this?

As specified at https://cloud.google.com/appengine/docs/quotas , and I quote:

Sending mail above your daily mail quota

If your app needs to send more than 10 messages per day, you can use a third-party mail provider, such as SendGridMailjet, or Mailgun, which have higher quotas.

Specifically, instructions for using SendGrid from App Engine are at https://cloud.google.com/appengine/docs/python/mail/sendgrid , including code in Python, Java, PHP, and Go.

Alex

On Tuesday, September 20, 2016 at 4:06:14 PM UTC+3, Richard Cheesmar wrote:
Hi,

I'm getting below Error when sending an email via the task queue
Error sending email: The API call mail.Send() required more quota than is available. I think 11 emails were sent today thus far, and now they are not sending...

Any idea what the problem is?

app name is emlak-air and the version is beta

Cheers

Richard Cheesmar

Sep 20, 2016, 1:16:24 PM9/20/16
to Google App Engine
Ok, well I thought it was higher than that, a lot higher. Is this new because 10 Emails a day is like wow, cruel!

So I should raise my quota until I put an alternative in place.

Richard Cheesmar

Sep 20, 2016, 2:34:26 PM9/20/16
to Google App Engine
ok, I have been reliably informed by Google that my email quota with billing enabled is 100...However I am still getting the same error

I have sent emails today, I was there when one arrived at a client, but only 11 according to the quota page...

So maybe there is a mix up somewhere and the Google techies could sort it for me please.

Josh Moore

Sep 20, 2016, 2:48:28 PM9/20/16
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
I can also see that 11 emails were sent.  It can take a moment for the quota raise to propagate, though I can see the quota bump reflected on our side.  Are you still seeing the issue in your app now?

Josh Moore | Cloud Solutions Engineer | josh...@google.com |

Richard Cheesmar

Sep 20, 2016, 3:38:57 PM9/20/16
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
Hi, yes I am still seeing the issue. I'm also confused as I have been a bill paying customer since I signed up...so that cannot be the issue.

Richard Cheesmar

Sep 20, 2016, 3:40:36 PM9/20/16
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
As per the logs the task fires twice and fails both times with the same error

On Tue, Sep 20, 2016 at 10:36 PM, Richard Cheesmar <cheza...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi, yes I am still seeing the issue. I'm also confused as I have been a bill paying customer since I signed up...so that cannot be the issue.

Richard Cheesmar

Sep 20, 2016, 4:12:48 PM9/20/16
to Google App Engine

Ok, for anyone else having a similar problem, this is the solution:

Even if you have billing enabled, to get out of the daily free quota limit, you need to set a daily budget via App Engine, settings - edit...

A royal pain in the butt and time wasted on very simple issue...

Josh Moore

Sep 20, 2016, 4:37:30 PM9/20/16
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
OK, I checked again and see where I the change hadn't rolled out before, but is now live.  looks like you've sent two additional email since earlier, is that right?  Can you confirm that the quota has been raised to 100 on your end?

Richard Cheesmar

Sep 20, 2016, 4:48:02 PM9/20/16
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
Yes it has been raised after I added a daily budget as suggested by Michael.

Josh Moore

Sep 20, 2016, 4:54:57 PM9/20/16
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
Ah, that was going to be my next guess.  It is not necessarily intuitive (at least it isn't to me), but setting a Daily Budget of $0.00 will, for quota purposes, cause your app to act as if it is in free tier.  Glad this is resolved and thanks for your patience.

Josh
Google Cloud Platform Support