503 when uploading to the blobstore

Niall Moody

Aug 11, 2017, 9:02:53 AM8/11/17
to Google App Engine
Hi,

For the past couple of weeks I've been unable to upload to the blobstore, getting a 503 in response. This is with code that previously worked with no problem, but I've since gone over my code, adding in extra logging etc., and I can't see anything obviously wrong. I've even tried plugging in the example code from the blobstore documentation, and I still get a 503, suggesting (I assume) that it's not a problem with my code specifically.

This is purely when the app is deployed; I don't have any issues when running in the dev server. Also, I've checked, and I'm well within my quotas.

Given I'm in the bronze tier, is there any way to get more information about why my uploads are being rejected?

Or, is this an indication that I should be migrating over to cloud storage? (given it's just a small personal site, I was hoping to avoid the extra workload involved in a migration)

Thanks,

- Niall Moody.

Yannick (Cloud Platform Support)

Aug 11, 2017, 11:47:24 AM8/11/17
to Google App Engine
Hello Niall, this error usually means that your App Engine service account does not have WRITE permissions to your default Google Cloud Storage bucket.

You should ensure that your bucket ACLs are properly setup in a way that will let the service accounts (or a role the service account belongs to) access the bucket. You should also make sure to grant your service account the roles it will need to access your bucket, for instance "roles/
storage.admin" or at the very least in this case "roles/
storage.objectCreator", though there is no harm in simply giving your App Engine service account the Editor role.

Niall Moody

Aug 14, 2017, 8:49:04 AM8/14/17
to Google App Engine
Ah, thanks. That was exactly the problem.

- Niall.

Lawrence Mok

Jan 10, 2018, 9:08:00 PM1/10/18
to Google App Engine
What if I'm only using blobstore instead of Cloud Storage / bucket via the blobstore API?  My program used to work 3 years ago but stopped working recently and I couldn't figure out why. It works on localhost devappserver but with 503 error while in production.

Since I'm not using the cloud storage I think the bucket ACL are irrelevant?

Lawrence Mok

Jan 10, 2018, 9:22:18 PM1/10/18
to Google App Engine
Opps, looks like adding the "Editor" role for AppEngine service account solved the problem. We didn't need such configuration 3 years before for the program to run, and suddenly this is required and we didn't get informed about it anywhere.......