Cron Job config takes a day to be effective

Justin Yip

Feb 23, 2018, 3:06:05 PM2/23/18
to Google App Engine
Hello,

I have recently updated my cron config in appengine to reschedule the running interval from every 3 hrs to every 6 hour. Appengine console page reflects the new changes.

However, this new config is not in effect for a long time before it becomes effective. I am still seeing the cron job is triggered every 3 hours for a day until its interval is reduced to 6.

I read thru the cron job config page and it doesn't mention anything about this latency.

Have any one also experienced similar issues?

Thanks!

Justin

George (Cloud Platform Support)

Feb 24, 2018, 2:12:31 PM2/24/18
to Google App Engine
Hello Justin,

How did you update your cron configuration? One can redeploy the whole application, or only the cron configuration, for Java, with:

   ./appengine-java-sdk/bin/appcfg.sh -A your-app-id -V app-version update_cron [YOUR_APP_DIR]

For details and other languages, you may read the "Scheduling Tasks With Cron for Java" documentation page

Usually, any change to the cron messages requires that you re-deploy the App Engine application. To avoid this, you could rewrite the App Engine application to pull the YAML file from a Cloud Storage bucket, have it monitor the file for changes, and update App Engine Cron Service when it detects modifications to the YAML file. More details are available on the "Reliable Task Scheduling on Google Compute Engine" page

Justin Yip

Feb 24, 2018, 10:23:18 PM2/24/18
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
I see. Didn't know that cron update requires a new deployment.

Thanks George.