sms gateway integration

Rajesh Gupta

Oct 13, 2016, 10:44:31 PM10/13/16
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
Hello,
I want to integrate with sms gateway providers.  Is there any general way to do it.

Normally, each sms gateway has the api and the key.
Our clients are using different sms gateways.  This means, I have to change the code for each sms gateway.

What is the good way to integrate with all sms gateways.

Regards,
Rajesh
Accounting/Inventory/Orders/Sales/Purchase on Google Cloud Platform and Mobile

Nicholas (Google Cloud Support)

Oct 14, 2016, 10:25:51 AM10/14/16
to Google App Engine
Hey Rajesh,

From what I've seen, HTTP REST and email are the most common APIs available with many SMS gateway companies like BulkSMS or TextMagic.  Their REST APIs however differ slight in terms of payload (send_sms from BulkSMS and POST /messages from TextMagic).  In other words, it would not be feasible to use the exact same message payload with endpoints from different companies.  Each company presents its own unique API.  Nevertheless, they have several client libraries available to work with their REST APIs so your application could integrate those.  You might also consider their email APIs depending how you plan to use SMS with your application.

For more specific advice and discussion, I would suggest providing a few more parameters with your questions:
  • What is your target audience?  You mention your clients using different SMS gateways.  How many different gateways might they use?  Would it be worth considering one of the companies I mentioned that seem to allow an application to send SMS messages to any carrier?
  • What functionality are you looking to implement?  Would you want your users to be able to send SMS messages to your application?  or would your users only receive SMS messages (like a notification system)?
  • What SMS gateways have you tried?  Which of their APIs are you looking to integrate?
If I've misunderstand your discussion points, feel free to correct me and/or provide some examples of what you're looking to accomplish.