Steps for migrating datastore and cloudstorage entities to another project

Rob Curtis

Aug 24, 2019, 12:55:31 PM8/24/19
to Google App Engine
Hi,

I'd like to migrate existing data from one project to another.
If found this detail here which outlines the steps to https://cloud.google.com/datastore/docs/export-import-entities (however this is to firestore in datastore mode, is that the standard now?)

The issue I have is that the Google cloud storage records I have are accessed via blob_keys in a lot of cases and unfortunately we didn't store the filenames :(
So when migrating, do the blob_keys still work (provided I don't delete the GCS file associated with the blob_key on the old project?)

Are there any other gotchas to consider?

Thanks

Nicolas (Google Cloud Platform Support)

Aug 26, 2019, 5:00:20 PM8/26/19
to google-a...@googlegroups.com

Hi Rob,

Firestore is considered the newest version of Cloud Datastore, there are multiple benefits that come with this update.

After doing a little bit of research on this I've found a very interesting article that describes multiple ways to migrate blobs to a GCS bucket in another project. I personally think that in your case the option #2 which consist of using the open source tools[4] that would store a Datastore mapping from the existing blob key to the GCS filename and then running a simple gsutils cp[4] command seems to be the easiest option.