Custom Domain much slower than $PROJECT_ID.appspot.com

James Kozianski

Aug 9, 2018, 9:41:52 AM8/9/18
to Google App Engine
Hi,

I've set up a custom domain for my service and I find that when accessing the service via that domain it is significantly slower than accessing it via its $PROJECT_ID.appspot.com address. I have determined that it's not an issue with DNS as the difference in latency is still there when using the resolved IP addresses directly.

The slowdown is very noticeable: it varies from 2x to 10x slower on the custom domain, and the delay occurs in the period between the connection being established and the first byte being sent.

Also note my app engine service is running in Sydney.

Is it possible I've misconfigured something? My DNS is CNAMEd to ghs.googlehosted.com, but it seems to me that using custom domains for routing is simply really slow. Is there anything I can do to improve the latency here?

Cheers,
James

Ani Hatzis

Aug 9, 2018, 10:20:10 AM8/9/18
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
Hi James,

I believe you are affected by a known issue. Last status was that they are working on it, but no ETA.

James Kozianski

Aug 10, 2018, 9:11:19 AM8/10/18
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
Ah, yes, that does seem to be the case. That is unfortunate.

Thanks for the link.

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Google App Engine" group.

Skillful

Sep 27, 2018, 1:33:56 PM9/27/18
to Google App Engine
Same thing here, will they never fix it??

My service is running in São Paulo.

George (Cloud Platform Support)

Sep 27, 2018, 4:45:44 PM9/27/18
to Google App Engine
Hi Skillful,

You have done the right thing, to leave a comment on the know issue page. This should offer the appropriate impression of urgency on the thread. Unfortunately, there are other urgent issues to be addressed, and someone else might have the same sense of urgency, as you. Work is in progress as we speak; meanwhile, your understanding is appreciated.

Adam Weaver

Aug 21, 2019, 8:09:53 AM8/21/19
to Google App Engine
Hmmm I dont think it will ever resolve.

Diogo Almeida

Aug 21, 2019, 6:03:46 PM8/21/19
to Google App Engine
Hello Adam,

As commented by George, it is recommend to add a comment on the issue tracker so that the product team will know how many more App Engine users are being impacted by this issue.

I see that the product team is actively working on this issue and updates will be posted in the issue tracker as soon as they have concrete progress towards the resolution.

David Smith

Jul 17, 2021, 7:43:49 PM7/17/21
to Google App Engine

I am having this same problem and I'm not in a 'slow'' region. I have relocated to us-west4 (Las Vegas) to avoid this issue but I'm still getting a much slower response time from the custom domain:

Custom domain: 1.25 seconds
appspot: 200ms

I testing this from Sydney using Go1.15 on App Engine Standard.

Is it still possible I have made some error or are others seeing this difference even in regions that are not know as slow?

Anatoli Trifonov

Jul 19, 2021, 12:35:32 AM7/19/21
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
I can confirm that the difference is noticeable on custom domains. Seeing the same behavior.

Sincerely,
Anatoli Trifonov

George (Cloud Platform Support)

Jul 19, 2021, 12:32:30 PM7/19/21
to Google App Engine
Engineering let us know that they are no longer going to fix the cross-region query flow. There is a readily available solution in the form of a serverless neg behind GCLB, and has neither the latency nor cross-region query flow problems, as well as having other functionality like cache flushes and TLS cipher control.

Dave Smith

Apr 9, 2022, 9:12:39 PM4/9/22
to Google App Engine
I picked App Engine so I don't have to deal with load balancers so I'm pretty ignorant.
Could you please explain how I overcome this slow response when using a custom domain by using a "serverless neg behind GCLB".
I'm using Go in App Engine Standard.
Also, how much extra does this cost? I think I remember that there is no free tier for the load balancer.