Cloud Tasks Api for Appengine flex

Handerson Contreras

Sep 25, 2018, 11:51:28 PM9/25/18
to Google App Engine

Hi

I have been reading google documentation regarding to managing tasks on appengine flex, what i read is that i need to fill in this form to enable it

i did it but haven't received news about it.

I am getting this error

google.api_core.exceptions.PermissionDenied: 403 Cloud Tasks API has not been used in project <projectid> before or it is disabled

i guess that is the cause or do you think is another problem?

thanks

David (Google Cloud Support)

Sep 27, 2018, 12:06:39 PM9/27/18
to google-a...@googlegroups.com

Hello Handerson,

The fact that you need to be whitelisted is most likely the cause of this error. The reason you have not been whitelisted yet might be because the beta version of Cloud Tasks API will be released soon and it will be visible in the Cloud Console so there won’t be any whitelisting process anymore. You may have to wait until it is released which should occur within the next week.

Joshua Lyon

Sep 27, 2018, 1:33:55 PM9/27/18
to Google App Engine
I just noticed that my App Engine (Standard) Task Queue admin interface is now redirecting me to a new Cloud Tasks section in the GCP console. I did a quick search and didn't see any announcements in the Google Cloud Blog, but I noticed that there's a Cloud Tasks product page indicating that the product is now in beta. So it looks like they are moving it out of alpha and into public beta.

chrome_2018-09-26_17-03-37.png

sami...@google.com

Sep 28, 2018, 5:42:59 PM9/28/18
to Google App Engine

Hi Joshua,

This is the latest announcement posted in the Google Cloud blog about the news on Cloud Tasks APIs & Services. As David mentioned above, the product is expected to reach most of our Google Cloud Customers within a week.

Joshua Lyon

Sep 28, 2018, 8:28:25 PM9/28/18
to Google App Engine
Thanks for the update! The blog post wasn't available when I originally posted. 😀

One thing that I haven't seen clarification on is pricing for existing customers. Task Queues were included as part of App Engine whereas Cloud Tasks is a separate product with separate pricing. It almost reads as though we are now going to be charged for something that was originally included as part of our App Engine costs.

Handerson Contreras

Sep 29, 2018, 9:29:44 PM9/29/18
to Google App Engine
That's good news :)

Thanks

Katayoon (Cloud Platform Support)

Oct 1, 2018, 2:57:24 PM10/1/18
to Google App Engine

Hi,

I should add that with Cloud Tasks release, all management of task queues is now centralized, however Tasks are executed on App Engine. Here you can find the pricing.

Joshua Lyon

Oct 1, 2018, 4:30:33 PM10/1/18
to Google App Engine
Thanks for the update. So are you confirming that for those of us that were already using Task Queues under App Engine, even though we haven't changed a single thing in our apps, we will now be charged for something that is documented as being included as part of our App Engine fees?

For reference, here's the App Engine pricing page where it indicates that Task Queues are included with App Engine at no additional charge:

chrome_2018-10-01_14-16-59.png

Aref Amiri (Cloud Platform Support)

Oct 10, 2018, 12:03:20 PM10/10/18
to Google App Engine

Hello Joshua,

At present, App Engine Task Queue are a completely separate product from Cloud Task. The redirected UI in Pantheon is still using App Engine Task Queue API and not the Cloud Task, and there are no current plans to change the pricing model. So in your case, you won’t be charged as you are still using the Task Queue API. Keep in mind that you will be notified should there be any additional charges for any of the services.