How to remove custom domain from project

Himanshu Kapoor

Jan 26, 2017, 5:16:12 AM1/26/17
to Google App Engine
Hi

I want to remove custom domain from project and to add it in another project.
Can anyone help out in this, i need to resolve asap.

Note: I am the owner of project so i have permission too and i also tried removing txt node from domain provider (namecheap in my case).

Vitaly Bogomolov

Jan 26, 2017, 2:25:27 PM1/26/17
to Google App Engine

I want to remove custom domain from project and to add it in another project.
Can anyone help out in this, i need to resolve asap.

console.cloud.google.com -> your project dashboard -> settings -> custom domains tab

WBR, Vitaly

Himanshu Kapoor

Jan 27, 2017, 1:00:14 AM1/27/17
to Google App Engine
Thanks Vitaly for reply

There is option to remove custom domain mapping but is there any way i can remove custom domain from dropdown list.

Himanshu Kapoor

Jan 27, 2017, 1:12:39 AM1/27/17
to Google App Engine
The issue which i am facing is that  i added custom domain from a...@gmail.com account for one working project in cloud which was already mapped to some other custom domain, so now i have 1 project with 2 custom domain.

After that i created another account from x...@gmail.com and mapped same custom domain there, so there it is showing same set of A and AAA records as for project on a...@gmail.com

Now i want to remove domain from a...@gmail.com account.

Nicholas (Google Cloud Support)

Feb 1, 2017, 1:01:52 PM2/1/17
to Google App Engine
The dropdown I think you're referring to under Custom domains lists domains you've verified.  To the best of my knowledge, you cannot remove remove a domain from this list using this UI.  This list simply shows the domains you've verified in Webmaster Central.  These domains are re-verified automatically about every 30 days by checking for the DNS verification string in your records.
The domain verification is automatically re-confirmed about every 30 days. So if you remove the verification string from your DNS settings, you will lose the ability to change the configuration within the Cloud Platform Console. However, if this happens, the serving setup for the domain does not change and the app continues to serve over the custom domain.

If you must "unverify" a given domain, you can simply remove the DNS verification string from your records and you'll eventually lose the ability to change your serving setup.  This isn't particularly useful.  The main component that changes behavior with your domains and App Engine projects are the DNS records and domain mappings.  The records help users resolve your-domain.com to Google front-end IPs and the domain mappings instruct the front-end to direct such requests to your App Engine application.  Verifying your domain primarily just proves to Google that your application is in fact allowed to receive all the traffic for your-domain.com because you've shown that you "own" it (or can at least influence that domain's DNS records).

If you map www.your-domain.com to project-a, you should not be able to map www.your-domain.com to project-b without first removing the project-a mapping.  If you're allowed to map the same domain to the second project without altering the first's mappings, this behavior is somewhat undefined.  To which project is the traffic going?

Himanshu Kapoor

Feb 2, 2017, 9:22:47 AM2/2/17
to Google App Engine
Thanks Nicholas for Reply.

Al thought i figured out myself to remove the custom domain from list.
So to unverify the DNS i used this link https://www.google.com/webmasters/verification/home?hl=en&authuser=0  it removed the access from id and removed txt record from DNS provider, So both results me unlisting the domain from App engine.

Let me know if followed wrong steps.

Thanks

Nicholas (Google Cloud Support)

Feb 2, 2017, 10:17:13 AM2/2/17
to Google App Engine
Those are indeed the steps to remove the domain from the list of verified domains using the Webmasters Central tool.  This tool is not directly a part of the Developers Console but affects the domains verified under your Google account.  These domains are the ones listed in the Developers Console.  This is why removing them from the Webmasters Central also removed them from the Developers Console.  Note however, that it may take some time for newly verified or removed domains to show up in the Developers Console as listed may sometimes be cached.  I hope this clarifies the roles and behaviors of both the Developers Console and Webmasters Central tools.

Did you have any further questions regarding domain mappings form different projects in the Developers Console?

ch...@innerathletenutrition.com

Sep 27, 2017, 9:03:53 AM9/27/17
to Google App Engine
Hi Nicholas,

I have a similar problem:

- Started a project using Cloud Storage Bucket to host static files, mapped to domain (www.innerathletenutrition.com)
- Decided to migrate to AppEngine, and deleted old project associated with domain
- Created new project and after deploying on AppEngine, want to map to same custom domain
- Error message appears during mapping process, "Custom URL is already mapped to another project"
- In an attempt to resolve, removed CNAME www DNS record from domain in domains.google.com (Unsuccessful)

I assume this mapping is the old, deleted project? Note: deleted project is still in 'available for recovery' stage, not permanently lost. This is why I think mapping might still be active to old project.

Juan Carlos García Sigüenza

Nov 18, 2017, 10:29:24 AM11/18/17
to Google App Engine
I have the same problem, I think that I have a mapping in a old project and I cant to map my new project with my custom domain, the error is "Custom URL is already mapped to another project"

but I dont see the mapping in any other project (app engine, firebase, cloud dns)

I am triying to unverified the domain, but it dont resolver my situation

Marcel

May 9, 2018, 9:22:59 AM5/9/18
to Google App Engine
Hello Himanshu,

Did you manage to overcome this issue?
I'm facing the same situation and can't work around the fact that the custom domain is already mapped to a project.

In my case it was the same project but I've later removed from it, and now need it back.

Best,

Patrice B

Jul 2, 2020, 1:08:57 PM7/2/20
to Google App Engine
Hello,

Same problem here: cannot remove custom domain from project.   Is there no solution ?

The story is as follows:  (1) need to have a subdomain of our client's domain point to our App Engine project, so we ask our client to add CNAME records to prove ownership, then we add subdomain to list of custom domain names for an app engine project, (2) client company then closes and domain name is not even registered anymore, (3) cannot remove client subdomain from list of custom domain names.   So 10 years from now, this custom domain name will still be bound to our project ?  What if someone else buys this domain, and defines CNAME records so that it reaches our project ?

Is there no way out of this ?

I believe this rule is not appropriate at all :  the owner of an app engine project should be allowed to remove a custom domain from his project, no matter if he can prove ownership or not.   I understand the need to prove ownership when trying to attach a new domain, but not when trying to detach.

noverlyjoseph

Jul 6, 2020, 3:43:38 PM7/6/20
to Google App Engine
Could you try using
https://cloud.google.com/sdk/gcloud/reference/app/domain-mappings/delete

Also to answer your question regarding having proper permission to remove the domain, it is for the same reason as to adding the domain.
It could happen, you have multiple people that have access to the Project, therefore only the person with the proper permission would be allowed to do such thing.