Multiple apps on Free tier?

Jon Hobbs-Smith

Mar 1, 2018, 2:29:57 PM3/1/18
to Google App Engine
Sorry for the newbie question but, well, I am a newbie.

I am new to GAE (coming from MS Azure) and I can't work out whether it's possible to host multiple website as GAE apps with multiple custom domains without having to page around $30 a month for each one.

The website mainly small personal sites and programming experiments, my resume etc. so they will use very small amounts of traffic. On MS Azure I would get a single "App service" and run them all on that but I can't work out if that's possible on GAE or, if it is, how usage of the free 28 "Instance hours" is calculated?

Any pointers in the right direction would be really useful as I've spent hours going round in circles with the Google documentation.

Thanks, Jon.

Jon Hobbs-Smith

Mar 1, 2018, 2:39:38 PM3/1/18
to Google App Engine
I should add that some of them are Node.js apps because I'm trying to learn Node. I eventually worked out that this means that I can't use a "standard" environment so it won't qualify for the "always free" tier. Having said that, I've been runnign a single site for 48 hours and it says I haven't incurred any costs, so I've pretty much given up trying to work it all out :)

Attila-Mihaly Balazs

Mar 2, 2018, 3:03:27 AM3/2/18
to Google App Engine
Hey there,

As you already figured out, the most cost-effective way is to use AppEngine Standard. You can even host multiple websites inside of one AppEngine project by adding all the domains to it and using a dispatch file. As an added benefit you get free, auto-managed SSL/TLS!

If you need to use something more dynamic, especially Node.js, you will need to use AppEngine Flexible with which I have less experience.

Cheers,
Attila

Taher (Cloud Platform Support)

Mar 2, 2018, 3:53:40 PM3/2/18
to Google App Engine
Hi Jon,

Echoing Attila’s comment above, the free tier is indeed available only for the App Engine Standard Environment as mentioned here. I encourage you to use this calculator which shows you an estimate of the planned usage (not actual cost).

For more details please check this FAQ and the free trial supplemental terms of service.

Hope this helps.

Jon Hobbs-Smith

Mar 2, 2018, 6:57:09 PM3/2/18
to Google App Engine
Thanks guys,

I did try the calculator and unfortunately it seems like the lowest cost I'm going to get away with is around $40/month which to be honest is a lot of money these days to host small personal projects. I can do this on Azure Shared app service for £7/month, and Node is supported on their free tiers.

Unfortunately this means that a hobbyist trying to learn Node.js isn't going to use Google Cloud :(

I'm going to try AWS next but if the story is the same I'll go back to Azure.

Brian de Alwis

Mar 2, 2018, 8:26:30 PM3/2/18
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jon.

In terms of node.js, you could give Cloud Functions a look: it's node.js priced by the request.  It's the same as Firebase Functions.  You can also connect Cloud Functions to Firebase Hosting.

And node.js is coming to App Engine.  There's an early access preview that you can sign up at:

Blaine Garrett

Mar 3, 2018, 3:22:57 PM3/3/18
to Google App Engine
Brian, thank you for posting the link to the early access. As a current node.js user on flex env, I am really excited about the prospects of node being part of the standard env.
Cheers,
~ Blaine