GCP ARCHITECTS: GCF + GAE + CloudSQL == common library??

ya...@pitch.studio

Nov 30, 2018, 4:02:38 PM11/30/18
to Google App Engine
Hi,
Does anyone care to offer an opinion/experience:
I have a certain operation, something like creating a new customer record, that:
  1. Creates records in Cloud SQL;
  2. Requires some logic per operation, which may be complex;
  3. And may be executed from:
    1. App Engine (so, off-line)
    2. Cloud Functions, triggered by Firebase events
    3. The command line, like Cloud Shell
Any thoughts on what's the best place for this routine to live in?
  1. MySQL stored proc (meh...)
  2. App Engine (but can you call that from a Function?)
  3. A function (but can you call that from anything?)
  4. Somewhere else?
Thank you for your advice
Yanay

Katayoon (Cloud Platform Support)

Dec 4, 2018, 3:22:05 PM12/4/18
to Google App Engine
Hi Yanay,

It seems you are looking for an architecture solution, however your usecase/scenario it not clear for me. I should note that here we provide support for general discussions on Google Cloud Platform-end products and for architecture solutions you may either refer to Google Cloud Partners which is a paid service or take a look at the solutions provided here for Google Cloud Platform products and services. For the questions you mentioned:

- You can create and use stored procedures and triggers in Cloud SQL, however you cannot import or export them into Cloud SQL.
- Here you may see all the events can trigger Cloud Functions. You can invoke Cloud Functions over HTTP(S) from your App Engine and vice versa.
- I am not sure about your usecase but should note that you can connect your Cloud Functions to Cloud SQL instances using a local socket interface provided in the Cloud Functions execution environment as well.

Yanay @Pitch

Dec 4, 2018, 5:06:13 PM12/4/18
to google-a...@googlegroups.com

Hi Katayoon,

Thank you for clarifying the rules (…) and for the references below. I am very well familiar with all of these and have written Cloud SQL, GCF and GAE code.

Allow me then to ask a very specific question:

Say I have a piece of python code, that talks to Cloud SQL.

If I deploy this code into GAE Standard, can I call it from within a GCF function?

Thanks again

Yanay Lehavi
Founder & CEO
Pitch
ya...@pitch.studio
949.903.4678

Katayoon (Cloud Platform Support)

Dec 5, 2018, 11:37:43 AM12/5/18
to Google App Engine
Hi again,

Yes, you can make an outbound call to communicate with your App Engine services.

Yanay @Pitch

Dec 5, 2018, 1:19:37 PM12/5/18
to google-a...@googlegroups.com

Thank you.

Are you aware of some documentation about how to build GAE standard services that are not driven by a web page? All the examples always include webapp2 or Django or Flask. If I just want some python code, no web page, just trigger it with an HTTP call, is it possible?

Yanay Lehavi
Founder & CEO
Pitch
ya...@pitch.studio
949.903.4678

Dec 6, 2018, 6:43:40 PM12/6/18
to Google App Engine
Hello Yanay,

What concerns your use-case: no web page, just trigger it with an HTTP call, I am happy to signal to you that the scenario maps closely, and seems well-suited for Google Cloud Functions. [1] You are encouraged to have a look, and ascertain this is what you were seeking.

Yanay @Pitch

Dec 6, 2018, 7:10:00 PM12/6/18
to google-a...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

Yes, I agree. I was trying to avoid GCF as the python local development support leaves a little bit to be desired.

Thank you

Yanay Lehavi
Founder & CEO
Pitch