Global app engine as described in the article

Aron Suarez

Nov 25, 2018, 4:17:34 PM11/25/18
to Google App Engine
In this article describe google a global deployment of a nodejs app in app engine flex.

How can i achieve that?

My first idea was to proxy all requests over compute engine, but it looks like this is possible without this round trip.

Thanks for any help.

Mohammad I (Cloud Platform Support)

Nov 26, 2018, 3:40:08 PM11/26/18
to Google App Engine
Hello Aron,

The article that you have shared indicates that every project is deployed within a single region for App Engine Flexible environment. If user likes to create a global deployment, user needs to create multiple projects, one for each region that is needed for serving customer locations. For each microservices out of a single project, user must provision and operate data storage infrastructure. User needs to provide service account credentials to access the data infrastructure project for each project that corresponds to an App Engine flexible environment deployment.

You can get more information on “Quickstart for Node.js in the App Engine Flexible Environment”[1] and “The Node.js Runtime” in the following documents:

Aron Suarez

Nov 26, 2018, 9:06:02 PM11/26/18
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mohammad

Thanks for your answer. Sorry for my unclear question.

My question is related to the second last part. Where is described, how to deploy a app engine flex application global.

For my is the theory clear, but how can i setup a Cloud Load Balncer to balance the traffic between multiple app engine apps. I can't select a app engine flex app as a backand service and i can't select cross project backand resources.

How can i achive that, how is described as the second last part?

Best Aron

Aron Suarez

Nov 26, 2018, 9:06:04 PM11/26/18
to Google App Engine

Aron Suarez

Nov 27, 2018, 12:30:52 PM11/27/18
to Google App Engine
My quest was aswred on stackoverflow:

This is from a google cloud member:

"As you mentioned, the issue with that diagram is that, although App Engine Flex instances actually run in your project, they are not visible to you and you can't use them as backend for the global load balancer. Indeed, this diagram is wrong and can't be implemented as-is. I've requested a documentation update to correct that.

One workaround, as you also mentioned, is to proxy requests to App Engine via Compute Engine VMs running in the same region. This isn't optimal though and may introduce a single point of failure.

Since App Engine Flex actually runs Docker containers on VMs, you can achieve a similar setup using Google Kubernetes Engine, with the advantage that you can run one cluster per region, all in the same project."

Attila-Mihaly Balazs

Nov 28, 2018, 11:14:09 PM11/28/18
to Google App Engine
Hi Aron,

Could you please provide the stackoverflow link? We're having a similar internal discussion and would love to see the discussion over there.

All the best,
Attila

Aron Suarez

Nov 28, 2018, 11:32:25 PM11/28/18
to google-a...@googlegroups.com

Amit (Google Cloud Support)

Nov 30, 2018, 10:32:03 AM11/30/18
to Google App Engine
Hi Aron,

Thank you for pointing it out. I have forwarded this to App Engine engineering team. All future updates related to this will be posted here