Latency Today - upto 12 seconds to load a page

Richard Cheesmar

Sep 22, 2016, 11:14:32 AM9/22/16
to Google App Engine
There seems to be latency issues recently. Today at www.catchamove.com it's taking upto 12 seconds to load a page, there is no way it was taking that long before...perhaps 4 sometimes even 6 depending on the route...

Tested from EU, UK and Turkey and all getting the same long latency issues.

Is this a system problem that anyone is aware of or is it one of Googles natural phenomenon?

Message has been deleted

Richard Cheesmar

Sep 22, 2016, 11:18:35 AM9/22/16
to Google App Engine

As can be seen from the image below the page is pending for quite a while...

Richard Cheesmar

Sep 22, 2016, 2:57:11 PM9/22/16
to Google App Engine
Seems to have got better TTFB is a lot lower

Nicholas (Google Cloud Support)

Sep 27, 2016, 1:47:43 PM9/27/16
to Google App Engine
Thanks for sharing your experiences here.  I'm happy to hear that the TTFB has gone decreased.  Is the latency back down to where it was prior to your report of this incident?

I'm afraid the screenshot provided does not reveal much about latency apart from a single instance.  Are there any usage graphs from the Developers Console showing long-lasting, repeat latency?  One excellent tool for monitoring latency is Stackdriver Trace.  Its views can show the frequency of latency and general bottlenecks.  One can also look at individual requests and see the time taken for each RPC call.

Let me know if this latency still affects you.