Which AppEngine SDK package should I use, and how do I reference it?

Kieran Whittemore

Aug 12, 2017, 5:34:28 PM8/12/17
to Google App Engine
Not long ago I got the latest version of the AppEngine SDK using:

go get google.golang.org/appengine

The Google Cloud documentation was recently updated, and apparently I should now use:

gcloud components install app-engine-go

After doing the above, I'm seeing 2 directories:

/usr/local/google-cloud-sdk
/Users/kieran/google-cloud-sdk

The first contains the AppEngine SDK files, the second does not.

In the PATH I'm seeing:

# The next line updates PATH for the Google Cloud SDK.
if [ -f ‘/Users/kieran/google-cloud-sdk/path.bash.inc' ]; then source '/Users/kieran/google-cloud-sdk/path.bash.inc'; fi

# The next line enables shell command completion for gcloud.
if [ -f '/Users/kieran/google-cloud-sdk/completion.bash.inc' ]; then source '/Users/kieran/google-cloud-sdk/completion.bash.inc'; fi

Why is the gcloud installer adding a reference in the PATH to the google-cloud-sdk that does not contain the AppEngine SDK ?

How do I reference the AppEngine SDK that was downloaded by the glcoud installer? With 2 different SDK paths I'm totally confused about which one to use, and even how to reference it in code as it doesn't appear to be in the PATH.

Yannick (Cloud Platform Support)

Aug 14, 2017, 10:42:56 AM8/14/17
to Google App Engine
Hello Kieran,

It sounds like you have installed 2 instances of the Cloud SDK. One scoped to only your user while the other one (/usr/local/) is scoped to the local machine. You should pick one of them and make sure all paths point to it while deleting the other version. Of course re-installing the Cloud SDK is always an option.