app engine firewall - allow services to access each other?

John Pettitt

Sep 26, 2017, 8:06:51 PM9/26/17
to Google App Engine

I've been playing the the new firewall beta.  The use case is disallow all traffic except our CDN, essentially origin shielding.  Works great except some of our services access each other and I'd like to be able to put allow rules in for that but I can't be sure of what outbound IP they use.  Is there way of specifying allow for a service?

John

Kenworth (Google Cloud Platform)

Sep 26, 2017, 9:43:55 PM9/26/17
to Google App Engine
If the services are coming from the same project, it should be allowed by default and there's no need to put allow rules. Otherwise, let me know which services are involved on your application.

John Pettitt

Sep 27, 2017, 12:34:59 AM9/27/17
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
They all use the same primary service address and then dispatch.yaml to route them.  Count the dispatch.yaml be causing the 403’s we’re seeing?  For the same reason I’m trying to use the firewall to protect the origin server I don;t want to publish the service names here.

John

On Sep 26, 2017, at 6:43 PM, 'Kenworth (Google Cloud Platform)' via Google App Engine <google-a...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

If the services are coming from the same project, it should be allowed by default and there's no need to put allow rules. Otherwise, let me know which services are involved on your application.

Kenworth (Google Cloud Platform)

Sep 27, 2017, 8:49:59 PM9/27/17
to Google App Engine
Hi John,

Correction: GAE Firewall set to disallow traffic will NOT allow traffic from services in the same project. For such a setup, 403s are currently expected. Our engineering team is aware of this current gap in the product which is in the beta state. Unfortunately, there is no ETA on when/if it will be implemented.

A workaround would possibly be to proxy through GCE (a known good host).

John Pettitt

Sep 27, 2017, 10:03:11 PM9/27/17
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the update. This issue makes the firewall unusable for our application.  We’ll look at proxying but doing so brings it’s own issues around redundancy.

Henk Mollema

Feb 27, 2018, 4:46:13 PM2/27/18
to Google App Engine
Hi Kenworth,

I was wondering if there is any update regarding this issue? The fact that services within the same project don't have access to each other makes the firewall feature rather inconvenient.
Thanks in advance!

Regards,
Henk