cron job via google app engine or via any npm module(node-schedule)

Himanshu Kapoor

Sep 19, 2016, 11:06:56 AM9/19/16
to Google App Engine

I need to deploy few cron jobs for my nodejs app hosted on google cloud.

I have 2 options

cron-schedule npm package.
cron.yaml provided by app engine.

I am not sure which has better performance and why ?

adding to it, I want my cron jobs to work on preemptible instance as they are meant for it, i search a lot but didn't find anything related.

Himanshu Kapoor

Sep 20, 2016, 12:39:04 AM9/20/16
to Google App Engine
can anyone please answer it.. i need to complete it.

Nick (Cloud Platform Support)

Sep 21, 2016, 6:53:51 PM9/21/16
to Google App Engine
Hey Himanshu,

These are two very different methods. One runs *on* the instance, using Node JS to schedule and run events. The other runs in the Cloud Platform infrastructure, sending requests to your application at given intervals, which will then trigger a request handler to run the code. You should consider your use case more and read more documentation before deciding. Perhaps I can help, if you'd like to share more details about what you want to accomplish?

Cheers,

Nick
Cloud Platform Community Support