How do you monitor your App Engine projects?

An N

Oct 6, 2016, 11:05:42 PM10/6/16
to Google App Engine
I need to set up monitoring for some App Engine projects so I can get statistics and alerts about errors, traffic, utilisation, things like that.

Does anyone have experience with Stackdriver/Sentry/Datadog/Rollbar/... on Google App Engine? Mind sharing what you like or don't like about your setup?

Nick (Cloud Platform Support)

Oct 10, 2016, 4:46:36 PM10/10/16
to Google App Engine
Hey An,

You should take a look at Stackdriver Cloud Monitoring. It's integrated very well with App Engine and has some excellent features. Let me know if you have any questions!

Cheers,

Nick
Cloud Platform Community Support

Thanasis Delenikas

Oct 12, 2016, 3:22:05 PM10/12/16
to Google App Engine
I am using Stackdriver with a Java GAE project since its availability.

I use it for measuring performance indicators and for generating alerts on certain conditions.
It's great - very well integrated with the platform. You should definitely try it yourself to see if it suits you.

Evan Jones

Oct 16, 2016, 10:49:36 AM10/16/16
to Google App Engine
Stackdriver is great because it is built-in, so its trivial to get started. It is not (yet) a very sophisticated data visualization and alerting tool though.

We are starting to look into using Datadog, since it permits you to create graphs and alerts on queries over custom metrics, which we are starting to need.

In both cases: Getting *custom* metrics from App Engine code into Stackdriver or Datadog is a small pain. We've written a small custom "stats aggregator" that reads from a pull queue and sends to the appropriate API. Our application then writes a task to that queue at the end of each request, with the stats that were updated.