Laravel Queue on Google App Engine

Patrick Finucane

Aug 10, 2017, 9:02:22 AM8/10/17
to Google App Engine

I am looking into google app engine as a alternative to AWS ec2/ELB. One problem I see is that there isn't an obvious way to consume the laravel queue.

If we deploy our laravel app across a few aws ec2 instances, we can use the same deployment process etc to include one instance as the queue runner.

But with app engine, because it is a black box, it seems like we need to do something like a google compute instance to run cli php to run the artisan command. This is annoying because we will have to worry about scaling the queue worker instances, which kind of defeats the purpose of google app engine.

Is anyone running a fully functioning, (ie with queue) laravel application on google app engine? If so, any resources you can point to would be helpful?

Is it possible to running php cli commands and supervisor (python) on a google app engine php flex environment?

Yannick (Cloud Platform Support)

Aug 10, 2017, 9:55:45 AM8/10/17
to Google App Engine
Hello Patrick, I do not have personal experience with Laravel but I found this community guide on how to Run Laravel on Google App Engine Flexible Environment  which demonstrates how you can use composer.json to run post-deploy commands and this third-party package which offers a queue service provider.

Having both Python and PHP installed on your instance might require you to use a custom runtime but it is definitely feasible. As for having one of your instances fulfill a different role than the others the simplest way is probably to run it as a different service on App Engine, though if you have extensive needs for precise control of your instances you might want to look into Container Engine.

I hope this helps! Let me know if I should expand on any part of this answer.

Avik Aghajanyan

Sep 1, 2017, 1:52:44 PM9/1/17
to Google App Engine
Hi Yannick,
Many people, including me are facing such issue with Laravel and App Engine, because the documentation you mentioned is about Flexible Environment (which are we using currently), but there is nothing about queue, and the third-party package you mentioned is for old Laravel and Standard Environment. But the main issue is Laravel required PHP 5.6+ starting from version 5.2 and the newest version 5.5 requires PHP 7+. But unfortunately PHP version on your Standard Environment is still 5.5. Not sure why? It would be better to upgrade it. Thanks