Webfontloader is out of date on the CDN

Joe Pagan

Jul 26, 2016, 2:36:01 PM7/26/16
to Google AJAX APIs
Hi,

Could I request for the webfontloader library to get the most recent version available? Or if this is the wrong place, please inform me where to go.

1.6.16 (the current version) is very much out of date, 1.6.26 is the most up to date version available here: https://github.com/typekit/webfontloader

Myself and others are getting some problems with this version, and, I'm sure many developers will also get this in the future too: https://github.com/typekit/webfontloader/issues/331

Philipp Wollermann

Jul 26, 2016, 2:59:37 PM7/26/16
to Google AJAX APIs
Hi Joe,

thanks for letting us know! This is indeed the right place for your request.

I'll figure out why we don't host the current available version on our CDN. Usually the library maintainers notify us of an update and then we'll put it there, looks like this didn't happen in this case.

I'll let you know once we found a solution.

Thanks,
Philipp

Philipp Wollermann

Aug 4, 2016, 4:56:17 AM8/4/16
to Google AJAX APIs
Hi Joe,

the Google Fonts team just updated the Web Font Loader on our CDN to version 1.6.26. I hope that helps!

Cheers,

Philipp

Joe Pagan

Aug 7, 2016, 4:20:06 PM8/7/16
to Google AJAX APIs
Hi Philipp,

Sorry for the late response, thanks for getting back to me and updating it!

Just want to point out that a google fonts still reference the "1" version which should get the latest version right?

https://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/webfont/1/webfont.js actually gets 1.6.16 NOT the latest 1.6.26.

I think I read somewhere that the "1" versions like that are deprecated is that right? Could you either update 1 to server 1.6.26, or, the code in the "javascript" tab on when getting a google font.

Thanks so much!

Joe

Philipp Wollermann

Sep 2, 2016, 4:13:47 AM9/2/16
to Google AJAX APIs
Hi Joe,

oh, that's definitely not good that we're still referring people to that old URL. I'll gladly remove any references to that. I'll also see if we can give the /1/ URL one last update.

I sent a pull request to the TypeKit repo here to fix the links / documentation there: https://github.com/typekit/webfontloader/pull/339

Have you seen it being mentioned in other places? It looks like Google Fonts now uses a CSS-only way of loading fonts, at least I couldn't find the "javascript" tab or the web loader mentioned there anywhere anymore.

Cheers,
Philipp

Joe Pagan

Sep 30, 2016, 3:53:45 PM9/30/16
to Google AJAX APIs
Hi Philipp,

Thanks for getting back & sorting this, sorry I'm rubbish at replying, since I last posted Google has completely changed their font service lol.

I think it would still be good to mention at the very least that these could still be loaded in with font loader on a JS tab (which as you say has been removed).

I would be grateful if the JS tab came back with the code snippet with the web font loader. With Google giving ranking benefits to pages that load faster, why take a faster option away from people?

I think that was the only place that it was referenced.