arm64 builder on raspberry pi 3B/3B+

Dan Kortschak

Feb 11, 2020, 10:33:04 PM2/11/20
to golang-nuts
I have been wanting an arm64 builder to do local testing for Gonum
recently. Unfortunately, though RPi 3 and 4 have 64 bit cores, Raspbian
is 32 bit, so they don't satisfy.

However, I found this article[1] which goes through installing a UEFI
bootloader and vanilla Debian Buster install on 3B/3B+.

I tried it out yesterday and it worked perfectly (making sure to follow
the instructions to the letter).

There is also a UEFI bootloader setup for the RPi4[2], but it is
currently experimental.

Dan

[1]https://pete.akeo.ie/2019/07/installing-debian-arm64-on-raspberry-pi.html
[2]https://github.com/pftf/RPi4

Brian Candler

Feb 12, 2020, 3:15:46 AM2/12/20
to golang-nuts
Interesting to know.

When you say "an arm64 builder", I presume you already know that go can cross-compile any architecture on any machine (using GOOS/GOARCH).

For testing, did you consider emulating an arm64 with qemu - or is that too slow / insufficiently realistic?

Dan Kortschak

Feb 12, 2020, 3:18:31 AM2/12/20
to Brian Candler, golang-nuts
The builder is for running tests on GOARCH=arm64. I have previously run
tests using qemu-arm, but this is currently broken (and is slow even
when not broken).

Liam

Feb 12, 2020, 4:02:33 AM2/12/20
to golang-nuts
The archlinuxarm.org project has great support for a variety of arm64 boards.

Vladimir Varankin

Feb 13, 2020, 8:29:00 AM2/13/20
to golang-nuts
Note, Ubuntu Server 19.10 (arm64) works out of the box on Raspberry Pi 3 and 4, It might be an easier option.

I've written about my experience of running 19.10 on Pi 4 [1]. But I didn't manage to run 18.04 — headless mode just didn't work and I didn't have opportunity to attach a keyboard and a monitor to figure out what was happening.

David Riley

Feb 13, 2020, 9:11:31 AM2/13/20
to Liam, golang-nuts
As does Armbian (armbian.com). I dare say they're my favorite ARM distribution for getting stuff up and running on generic ARM boards; their default SD card installs mostly Just Do The Right Thing (including automatically expanding the filesystem on first boot to fit), and the hardware support is generally some of the best you'll find.

- Dave