flags package: shared flags and flag sets

Chris Burkert

May 6, 2020, 8:08:25 AM5/6/20
to golang-nuts
Dear all,

I'd like to mix shared flags with flags specific to flag sets (cooltool <globalFlags> <subcommand> <commandFlags>). However I struggle to parse the shared flags only and pass the rest to the flagset for parsing. Here is what I came up with:

https://play.golang.org/p/Jazn3aSX9-d

Do I have to pick a different flag library or can this be done with package flag from the standard library?

Thanks - Chris

Tamás Gulácsi

May 6, 2020, 10:27:27 AM5/6/20
to golang-nuts

mural

May 7, 2020, 1:29:26 AM5/7/20
to golang-nuts

You can then use it like './mycli -d stream -rt'

The '-d' option is a shared flag, and `-rt' is dedicated for the subcommand 'stream'.

Chris Burkert

May 7, 2020, 5:26:29 AM5/7/20
to mural, golang-nuts
Thank you very much.
This is exactly what I was looking for. A simple way without the need for additional packages.
Highly appreciated!

Manlio Perillo

May 7, 2020, 12:07:51 PM5/7/20
to golang-nuts
Not sure if it can help, but look at:

It is adapted from cmd/go subcommand code and use the standard flag package.

Manlio