Counter-counter-counter proposals

Michael Jones

Jun 30, 2019, 10:50:13 PM6/30/19
to golang-nuts
With so many strongly worded emotional emails flying it might be helpful to remember that language design is about other people and other use cases than your own. The truly good answer meets the needs of many and harms few, anticipates that no answer is final, and is flexible. Here is a nice way to think about it:

Taste and Aesthetics, A Conversation with Ken Arnold, Part II
by Bill Venners, September 16, 2002

Responsibility for others means focusing on issues beyond your own. As CTO of Google Maps, Earth, and Local Search, I had to think about what was good for 1.5 billion unique monthly users, not what was good to me as a map guy. The Go designers are in the same situation. When we offer advice to them, we might best think that way too.

--
Michael T. Jones
michae...@gmail.com

Dan Kortschak

Jul 1, 2019, 12:48:35 AM7/1/19
to Michael Jones, golang-nuts
Thank you for sending that. That is a wonderful interview.
> *Michael T. Jonesmich...@gmail.com <michae...@gmail.com>*

Jan Mercl

Jul 1, 2019, 12:58:57 AM7/1/19
On Mon, Jul 1, 2019 at 4:50 AM Michael Jones <michae...@gmail.com> wrote:

> ... language design is about other people and other use cases than your own.

That nicely explains C++ existence.

andrey mirtchovski

Jul 1, 2019, 1:43:02 AM7/1/19
to Michael Jones, golang-nuts
"Users don't care about what the designer does. They care about what
they do. If every time you drove a car, you had to learn the meaning
of 100 knobs, the whole system wouldn't work. Simplicity comes from
tuning down the tasks required to drive the car into a certain set of
understood paradigms and tools. Yes, there are many people who would
love to pull up the hood and start tinkering with things. You can let
them, as long as that is all under the hood."