Go 1.17 Beta 1 is released

Dmitri Shuralyov

Jun 10, 2021, 11:47:16 AM6/10/21
to golan...@googlegroups.com
Hello gophers,

We have just released go1.17beta1, a beta version of Go 1.17.
It is cut from the master branch at the revision tagged go1.17beta1.

Please try your production load tests and unit tests with the new version.
Your help testing these pre-release versions is invaluable.

Report any problems using the issue tracker:
https://golang.org/issue/new

If you have Go installed already, the easiest way to try go1.17beta1
is by using the go command:
$ go get golang.org/dl/go1.17beta1
$ go1.17beta1 download

You can download binary and source distributions from the usual place:
https://golang.org/dl/#go1.17beta1

To find out what has changed in Go 1.17, read the draft release notes:
https://tip.golang.org/doc/go1.17

Cheers,
The Go Team

Robert Solomon

Jun 14, 2021, 1:04:16 PM6/14/21
to golang-nuts
I read the draft release notes.

Does Go 1.17 intend on supporting GOPATH mode.  I could not find any notes on this.

Ian Lance Taylor

Jun 14, 2021, 5:38:30 PM6/14/21
to Robert Solomon, golang-nuts
On Mon, Jun 14, 2021 at 10:04 AM Robert Solomon <drro...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I read the draft release notes.
>
> Does Go 1.17 intend on supporting GOPATH mode. I could not find any notes on this.

Go 1.17 continues to support GOPATH mode if you explicitly set the
environment variable GO111MODULE=off. This is the same as Go 1.16.
See https://golang.org/ref/mod#mod-commands.

Ian

Jan Mercl

Jun 15, 2021, 5:16:25 AM6/15/21
to Ian Lance Taylor, golang-nuts
On Mon, Jun 14, 2021 at 11:38 PM Ian Lance Taylor <ia...@golang.org> wrote:

> Go 1.17 continues to support GOPATH mode if you explicitly set the
> environment variable GO111MODULE=off. This is the same as Go 1.16.
> See https://golang.org/ref/mod#mod-commands.

Quoting from "New module changes in Go 1.16", 18 February 2021, at
https://blog.golang.org/go116-module-changes#TOC_2.

""""
We plan to drop support for GOPATH mode in Go 1.17. In other words, Go
1.17 will ignore GO111MODULE.
""""

Can you please confirm Go 1.17 will continue to support GOPATH mode as
you wrote yesterday, meaning the older information in the blog post is
now outdated wrt ignoring the GO111MODULE env var? Thanks.

Ian Lance Taylor

Jun 15, 2021, 6:09:49 PM6/15/21
to Jan Mercl, golang-nuts
I can confirm. The blog post is out of date. I'll ask about updating it.

Ian