Go 1.16 release satus

Alex Rakoczy

Dec 17, 2020, 7:06:18 PM12/17/20
to golang-dev
Hello gophers!

We're excited to have released Go 1.16 Beta 1 today. An amazing 53 release-blockers were resolved in the last 17 days, and several new builders were added to enable this. Your contributions and feedback, as always, is invaluable.

As of right now, there are 31 issues labeled release-blocker remaining in the Go 1.16 milestone:

We are targeting January for Go 1.16 RC1, and a full release in February. Considering the number of issues and many people on holiday, it's reasonable to expect the RC will be sometime mid-January. We will post an update before then in the new year.

Thank you all,
Alex

Alex Rakoczy

Jan 5, 2021, 4:45:50 PM1/5/21
to golang-dev
Hello gophers!

We're back, and are working hard on Go 1.16 RC1.

As of this moment, there are 31 issues labeled release-blocker. We will be looking through these issues this week. I will post an update in this thread later this week to summarise our thoughts on timing. Based on the current volume, I would expect some delay before we are able to release an RC1.

Cheers,
Alex

Dave Cheney

Jan 5, 2021, 5:28:56 PM1/5/21
to Alex Rakoczy, golang-dev
Thanks Alex. This is a great status update, please keep it up!

On Wed, 6 Jan 2021 at 08:45, Alex Rakoczy <al...@golang.org> wrote:

> Hello gophers!
>
> We're back, and are working hard on Go 1.16 RC1.
>
> As of this moment, there are 31 issues labeled release-blocker. We will be looking through these issues this week. I will post an update in this thread later this week to summarise our thoughts on timing. Based on the current volume, I would expect some delay before we are able to release an RC1.
>
> Cheers,
> Alex
>

> On Thu, Dec 17, 2020 at 7:06 PM Alex Rakoczy <al...@golang.org> wrote:
>>
>> Hello gophers!
>>
>> We're excited to have released Go 1.16 Beta 1 today. An amazing 53 release-blockers were resolved in the last 17 days, and several new builders were added to enable this. Your contributions and feedback, as always, is invaluable.
>>
>> As of right now, there are 31 issues labeled release-blocker remaining in the Go 1.16 milestone:
>>
>> https://github.com/golang/go/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+milestone%3AGo1.16+label%3Arelease-blocker
>>
>> We are targeting January for Go 1.16 RC1, and a full release in February. Considering the number of issues and many people on holiday, it's reasonable to expect the RC will be sometime mid-January. We will post an update before then in the new year.
>>
>> Thank you all,
>> Alex

Alex Rakoczy

Jan 8, 2021, 4:34:50 PM1/8/21
to golang-dev
Hello again,

As of this moment, there are 23 issues labeled release-blocker, a big improvement! It is possible that we could issue Go 1.16 RC1 by the end of next week, assuming these issues are resolved and no major issues are discovered in the meantime. Tentatively, a mid-January release of RC1 seems like the most reasonable expectation.

As a reminder, details of our release timeline can be found at https://golang.org/wiki/Go-Release-Cycle.

I will send an update again before the RC as we get closer to having no remaining issues.

Thank you all again for all your help,
Alex

Alex Rakoczy

Jan 21, 2021, 6:06:15 PM1/21/21
to golang-dev
Hello Gophers,

We are down to a dozen release-blocking issues for Go 1.16. It's been a busy time with the security release, making this some excellent work!

We are watching these issues closely, and will be revisiting our schedule on Tuesday. We'll send out an update before then if anything changes.

Thanks much,
Alex

Alex Rakoczy

Jan 27, 2021, 6:17:56 PM1/27/21
to golang-dev
Hello Gophers,

We've tagged Go 1.16RC1, but have not yet finished releasing signed binaries due to an issue we're working to resolve. We have not sent an announcement because of this.

We'll send our normal release announcement when we release the binaries (hopefully in the next day), but we wanted to keep you in the loop.

Cheers,
Alex

Dmitri Shuralyov

Feb 11, 2021, 6:29:00 PM2/11/21
to golang-dev
Hello Gophers!

It's been two weeks since the Go 1.16 RC 1 release, thank you for testing it and reporting issues you've found, it is very helpful to ensure we issue a robust release. We are down to just 5 open issues in the Go1.16 milestone right now, and all of them are minor and manageable.

We agreed in a release meeting today that everything so far looks good for us to target the coming Tuesday for the final Go 1.16 release.

As part of making the final release, we will also be opening the tree—only for early-in-cycle Go1.17 changes at first—and then generally to all Go 1.17 changes. We'll start the usual "Planning Go 1.17" thread with more information on the exact dates, and you can follow issue 44222 that tracks our progress to re-open the tree.

Thank you everyone for your help with this release.

Thanks,
Dmitri