Introducing Vitality GOES software

Carl Reinemann

Jun 18, 2022, 9:32:36 AM6/18/22
to goestools-users

Gadget Lust

Jun 20, 2022, 9:10:33 AM6/20/22
to goestools-users

Looks amazing. Not able to get it to see anything in my goes data directories so far.  Stock ini's, or modified.  Do I need to reboot after every change to the ini files, or is there a way to reinvoke the search of the directories?

Carl Reinemann

Jun 20, 2022, 10:36:09 AM6/20/22
to goestoo...@googlegroups.com
Yes the config files in/var/www/html/config all need to be modified to fit your file structure.

here a block from my GOES 16 goesproc-goesr.conf
# Store all original GOES-16 products.
[[handler]]
type = "image"
origin = "goes16"
directory = "./goes16/{region:short|lower}/{channel:short|lower}/{time:%Y-%m-%d}"
filename = "GOES16_{region:short}_{channel:short}_{time:%Y%m%dT%H%M%SZ}"
format = "jpg"
json = false

  [[handler.map]]
  path = "/usr/share/goestools/ne/ne_50m_admin_0_countries_lakes.json"

  [[handler.map]]
  path = "/usr/share/goestools/ne/ne_50m_admin_1_states_provinces_lakes.json"

So then in GOES Vitality you would need to go into /var/www/htm/config and edit the file to  the [paths]  which tells goes vitality to know where to look for files.
[general]
emwinPath = /home/pi/goes/goes16/emwin
adminPath = /home/pi/goes/goes16/text
showSysInfo = true
debug = false

[paths]
GOES16 = /home/pi/goes/

[location]
radarCode = GRTLK
stateAbbr = WI
wxZone = WIZ064
orig = MKXWI
rwrOrig = MKXWI
city = MADISON
lat = 43.00
lon = -88.60
timezone = America/Chicago

Brad Bowers

Jun 20, 2022, 11:57:15 AM6/20/22
to goestools-users
Looks very interesting. I have my goesrecv outside on a raspberry pi and goesproc inside on a VM... just looking through everything it seems like it should work fine if I installed this on the goesproc VM.

Now I just need to get goesproc to restart itself when it looses the connection to the Pi outside and we'll be all set!

Gadget Lust

Jun 20, 2022, 4:51:05 PM6/20/22
to goestools-users
I figured it out, and thanks.  Turns out I had been putting the fully qualified path including the "/goes16" in the config.ini, when in fact it was explicated in abi.ini already.   Playing with it now!

Brad Bowers

Jun 27, 2022, 11:05:53 AM6/27/22
to goestools-users
Got it running finally. Switched statsd from my TIG stack over to this machine so vitality can chew on that data also. I can't seem to get the weather configured correctly? When I try to go to "Configure Location" all it says is  "Loading, please wait..." My current weather on the main screen also shows as " Last Update: undefined"

Carl Reinemann

Jun 27, 2022, 1:19:44 PM6/27/22
to goestoo...@googlegroups.com
For the Local weather to show, you need about 24 hours of EMWIN files so it can find the correct ones.  Also Note that the "City" option must be entered in all caps and match what the Regional Weather Roundup information displays, For Instance, even though my location is JEFFERSON, I have to use what is in my Regional Weather Roundup information settings, which in my case my local city is MADISON.

Carl

Brad Bowers

Jun 27, 2022, 1:23:39 PM6/27/22
to goestools-users
Local weather starting to show now actually.

Here's my location config section, seems to be fine. Just can't access that one page, always says loading.

[location]
radarCode = NTHES
stateAbbr = NY
wxZone = NYZ050
orig = ALYNY
rwrOrig = ALYNY
city = ALBANY
lat = 42.90
lon = -73.79
timezone = America/New_York

Gadget Lust

Jun 28, 2022, 2:57:50 AM6/28/22
to goestoo...@googlegroups.com

My “Current Weather” page works perfectly on one computer.  On all other computers, everything but the current radar is blank or shows “loading”.  The config is correct.  For some reason, it will not display on other Windows or Linux PCs or on IOS.

I have also added Carl’s CustomLUT, but cannot get any of the images to display in Vitality:

[fdcustomlut_16]

path = {GOES16}/goes16/fd/customlut

title = "GOES 16 - CustomLUT"

;videoPath = GOES16CustomLUT.mp4

Bob

Sent from Mail for Windows

Carl Reinemann

Jun 28, 2022, 8:52:41 AM6/28/22
to goestoo...@googlegroups.com
Bob,

When you say "For some reason, it will not display on other Windows or Linux PCs or on IOS."  are you running Vitality GOES on each machine?  Or is the Web app on one PC, or the PI, or Ubuntu? hard to diagnose without specifics.  For instance, I have only one instance of VG (Vitality GOES) running on my PC, I access it from my tablet or phone or another computer by using the IP address of the PC and the port you have set for VG.  I also can access mine over the internet by using port forwarding on my router.

To be clear there is only one set of configuration files that need to be edited.

as for this part;

[fdcustomlut_16]

path = {GOES16}/goes16/fd/customlut

title = "GOES 16 - CustomLUT"

;videoPath = GOES16CustomLUT.mp4

are you creating the customLUT in your goestools goesr-goesproc file? If not you will not get anything.

you would also have to modify the abi.ini file as well to show a 'button'  to match the new custom lut. (highlighted in red)

Here is a section from my abi.ini;

[NOAA15_18_19]
path = {NOAA}/NOAAFILES/
title = "NOAA APT Imagery - "
;videoPath = NONE

[fdCUSTOMLUT16A]
path = {GOES16Arch}/goes16/fd/CUSTOMLUT/
title = "GOES 16 6 Month Archived Imagery - "
;videoPath = GOES24Hours.mp4

[fdCUSTOMLUT16A36]
path = {GOES1636Arch}/goes16/fd/CUSTOMLUT/
title = "GOES 16 36 Month Archived Imagery - "
;videoPath = GOES24Hours.mp4

[Meteor M2]
path = {MeteorM2}/
title = "Meteor M2 - Composite"

[fdCUSTOMLUT16]
path = {GOES16}/goes16/fd/CUSTOMLUT/
title = "GOES 16 - USRADIOGUY LUT"
videoPath = GOES24Hours.mp4

[fdch02_16]
path = {GOES16}/goes16/fd/ch02/
title = "GOES 16 - Channel 2 (Red)"
;videoPath = GOES16Ch2.mp4

You also need to add the correct paths to the repository where you store all your generated imagery;  Here is mine:  I will not match yours as I have multiple sats and drives. But it should give you an idea on how the configuration files and in work together with your generated imagery.

[general]
graphiteAPI = http://127.0.0.1:8080/render/

emwinPath = D:/GOES  DATA CENTER/goes16/emwin
adminPath = D:/GOES  DATA CENTER/goes16/test

showSysInfo = true
debug = false

[paths]

GOES15 = F:/Satellite Imagery GOES15
GOES16 = F:/Satellite Imagery
HIMAWARI8 = F:/Satellite Imagery HIMAWARI8
HIMAWARI9 = F:/Satellite Imagery HIMAWARI9
GOES16Arch = D:/GOES  DATA CENTER

GOES1636Arch =  H:\NETSERVER\ GOES  DATA CENTER\GOES16

GOES1736Arch =  H:\NETSERVER\ GOES  DATA CENTER\GOES17

GOES1836Arch =  H:\NETSERVER\ GOES  DATA CENTER\GOES18
GOES17 = F:/Satellite Imagery GOES17
GOES18 = F:/Satellite Imagery GOES18
MeteorM2 = F:/MeteorM2
NOAA = H:\NETSERVER\WXTOIMG\NOAA

[location]
radarCode = GRTLK
stateAbbr = WI
wxZone = WIZ064
orig = MKXWI
rwrOrig = MKXWI
city = MADISON

;city = WATERTOWN

lat = 43.00
lon = -88.60
timezone = America/Chicago

Gadget Lust

Jun 28, 2022, 9:36:34 PM6/28/22
to goestools-users
Hi:

I have partially figured this out. It appears that Vitality-GOES needs to be configured with all the location parameters on each machine's browser, so now am able to see local weather on another Raspberry Pi System after configuring all my local weather parameters.  This does not appear to work on IOS, however, because I never get the response from the GUI when I go to the "configure location" selection.  It says "loading" and never gives me the option on my IOS devices to configure anything.

Yes, I've modified both the goesr-goesproc file and abi.ini for the CustomLUT files, and not yet working.  I'll look at what you pasted in and work backwards from there.  I am sure it's just a bad line or path.  Thanks!

Bob

Gadget Lust

Jun 29, 2022, 9:17:22 PM6/29/22
to goestoo...@googlegroups.com

Thanks very much for your help Carl.  I have no problem getting images rendered using your custom LUT, and the directory is populated with them as each new FC/FD image comes down.  For some reason, however, I cannot get Vitality GOES to put them on the screen, despite having the right config changes made.  I am running Vitality GOES on a Pi4 standalone, and connecting via local network from whatever machine I wish to use it from.  I see the table for the customLUT, but there are no images, and if I try to load one, I get “oops, failed to load image”.  Not sure what I am doing wrong at this point.  Screenshot below.

I’ll keep trying!

Thanks,

Bob

Sent from Mail for Windows

Carl Reinemann

Jun 30, 2022, 8:55:59 AM6/30/22
to goestools-users
Can you post the section of the abi.ini where you have the custom lut, and the config.ini file you have?  And the folder structure to the customlut images

Carl

Gadget Lust

Jul 1, 2022, 9:56:33 PM7/1/22
to goestoo...@googlegroups.com

Hi Carl:

Abi.ini

[fdCUSTOMLUT16]

path = {GOES16}/goes16/fd/CUSTOMLUT/

title = "GOES 16 - USRADIOGUY LUT"

videoPath = GOES24Hours.mp4

config.ini

[general]

graphiteAPI = http://127.0.0.1:8080/render/

emwinPath = /home/pi/emwin/

adminPath = /home/pi/nws/

showSysInfo = true

debug = false

[paths]

GOES16 = /home/pi/

GOES17 = /home/pi/

[location]

radarCode = NTHES

stateAbbr = VA

wxZone = VAZ041

orig = LWXVA

rwrOrig = LWXVA

city = WARRENTON

lat = 38.69

Custom LUT images are in folders created by date at /home/pi/goes16/CUSTOMLUT and have the right names, e.g: GOES16_FD_FC_CUSTOMLUT20220622T160020Z.jpg

Thanks for helping me out!

Bob

Sent from Mail for Windows

Carl Reinemann

Jul 2, 2022, 9:48:29 AM7/2/22
to goestools-users
Bob, I think I see the issue, your customlut files are off by a "_" from the standard goestools naming convention.
This can be corrected by editing the goesr-goesproc.conf file you are using.  I obviously can't see yours, but I bet you are missing the highlighted "__ underscore.

Screenshot 2022-07-02 084540.jpg
Try running it with this correction and get som new custom luts, or you could test by simply renaming a couple of your existing files and add the underscore in the proper place such as GOES16_FD_FC_CUSTOMLUT_20220702T050021Z.jpg

Carl

Gadget Lust

Jul 2, 2022, 6:21:01 PM7/2/22
to goestoo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Carl,

Thanks.  I corrected that, even renamed all of the images in the latest folder, but no difference unfortunately.

Bob Harvey
Sent from my iPad

On Jul 2, 2022, at 9:48 AM, Carl Reinemann <crein...@gmail.com> wrote:

Bob, I think I see the issue, your customlut files are off by a "_" from the standard goestools naming convention.

Carl Reinemann

Jul 3, 2022, 9:16:57 AM7/3/22
to goestools-users
Just a couple of other things to try,
First refresh your cache and history on the browser your using. and reload. and of course, you have to restart to allow the changes to take effect as well.

And just clarifying, your directory structure is /home/pi/goes16/CUSTOMLUT

NOT

/home/pi/goes/goes16/CUSTOMLUT

Carl

Carl Reinemann

Jul 3, 2022, 9:25:10 AM7/3/22
to goestools-users
The other thing that I just saw is that you folder structure as you posted

/home/pi/goes16/CUSTOMLUT

is different than where your path is in your config, which is
/home/pi/goes16/fd/CUSTOMLUT/

The folder you say your custom luts are in is missing the /fd/

Carl

Gadget Lust

Jul 3, 2022, 11:16:42 AM7/3/22
to goestoo...@googlegroups.com

Thanks Carl, not sure what I had posted earlier.  Abi.ini has this as my entry:

[fdCUSTOMLUT16]

path = {GOES16}/goes16/fd/CUSTOMLUT/

title = "GOES 16 - USRADIOGUY LUT"

videoPath = GOES24Hours.mp4

This is correct, the GOES16 is a pointer to the /home/pi path, so the correct path is /home/pi/goes16/fd/CUSTOMLUT/ which is the correct file structure I have for the custom luts, as show here:

Config.ini

[general]

graphiteAPI = http://127.0.0.1:8080/render/

emwinPath = /home/pi/emwin/

adminPath = /home/pi/nws/

showSysInfo = true

debug = false

[paths]

GOES16 = /home/pi/

GOES17 = /home/pi/

Thanks again, and happy Independence Day.

Bob

Sent from Mail for Windows

Gadget Lust

Jul 3, 2022, 8:41:10 PM7/3/22
to goestoo...@googlegroups.com

Hi Carl:

I’ve doublechecked things, and appreciate all your help. So far, I realize that it is a config problem somewhere, but darned if I an find it.  My info below the image seems to be right, but I end up with no image, as shown below.  Based on when it says the picture was taken, I’m not sure it’s even seeing the directory at all.  Will keep plugging away and will recheck everything again.  I am starting to feel pretty dense, because I am sure it’s some basic issue I am missing.  Thanks!

GOES PI file structure for custom lut

/home/pi/goes16/fd/CUSTOMLUT

Sample Filename

GOES16_FD_FC_CUSTOMLUT_20220703T210021Z.jpg

Config.ini:

[general]

graphiteAPI = http://127.0.0.1:8080/render/

emwinPath = /home/pi/emwin/

adminPath = /home/pi/nws/

showSysInfo = true

debug = false

[paths]

GOES16 = /home/pi/

GOES17 = /home/pi/

[location]

radarCode = NTHES

stateAbbr = VA

wxZone = VAZ041

orig = LWXVA

rwrOrig = LWXVA

city = WARRENTON

lat = 38.69

lon = -77.80

Abi.ini for custom lut:

[fdCUSTOMLUT16]

path = {GOES16}/goes16/fd/CUSTOMLUT/

title = "GOES 16 - USRADIOGUY LUT"

videoPath = GOES24Hours.mp4

goesproc-goesr.conf

# GOES-16 ABI false color CUSTOMLUT VERSION 2.8 and jpg added 062122 by RH

# GOES-16 ABI false color CUSTOMLUT VERSION 2.8 and jpg.

[[handler]]

type = "image"

origin = "goes16"

regions = [ "fd" ]

channels = [ "ch02", "ch13" ]

directory = "./goes16/{region:short|lower}/CUSTOMLUT/{time:%Y-%m-%d}"

filename = "GOES16_{region:short}_FC_CUSTOMLUT_{time:%Y%m%dT%H%M%SZ}"

format = "jpg"

json = false

  [handler.remap.ch02]

  path = "/usr/share/goestools/wxstar/wxstar_goes16_ch02_curve.png"

  [handler.lut]

  path = "/home/pi/goestools/usradioguycustomlut.png"

  [[handler.map]]

  path = "/usr/share/goestools/ne/ne_50m_admin_0_countries_lakes.json"

  [[handler.map]]

  path = "/usr/share/goestools/ne/ne_50m_admin_1_states_provinces_lakes.json"

Sent from Mail for Windows

Carl Reinemann

Jul 4, 2022, 11:11:26 AM7/4/22
to goestools-users
Looks correct to me too! The only thing I can think of is your browser cache and cached images is still holding on to the unusable cached imagery.

And double-checking you are editing the configs in this folder /var/www/html/config?

it has to be something small, the devil is in the details.

Carl

Jamie Vital

Jul 15, 2022, 1:39:26 PM7/15/22
to goestools-users
Try updating to the latest version. I just fixed a bug where it would error out like that if there were any misnamed/extra files in an image directory.

Gadget Lust

Jul 24, 2022, 9:39:16 PM7/24/22
to goestoo...@googlegroups.com
That did it!   Thanks.

Bob Harvey
Sent from my iPad

On Jul 15, 2022, at 1:39 PM, Jamie Vital <jvita...@gmail.com> wrote:

Try updating to the latest version. I just fixed a bug where it would error out like that if there were any misnamed/extra files in an image directory.

samso...@gmail.com

Aug 3, 2022, 9:46:00 AM8/3/22
to goestools-users
Any idea why I am getting this error when trying to run the script to create ABI Videos?
[2022-08-03 08:44:26] Creating GOES16FalseColorNoBorders...
find: ‘/home/samson/goestools/output/goes16/fd/fc-noborder’: No such file or directory
find: ‘/home/samson/goestools/output/goes16/fd/fc-noborder’: No such file or directory