No GOES17 images downloaded

Phil Biehl

Aug 8, 2022, 5:50:12 PM8/8/22
to goestools-users
Hi All,
I've been happily downloaded GOES17 images for some time now but recently (as of 8/1/2022) I'm no longer seeing this images. I see Himawari and GOES16 images but none from GOES17.

Any idea why and how I can fix this?

Does it have something to do with the new bird, GOES18?

Thanks,
Phil

Scott W

Aug 8, 2022, 6:26:01 PM8/8/22
to goestoo...@googlegroups.com
I recently added goes18 entries to my goesproc config file and it seems to be working, I’m getting all the ABI images into my goes18 directory.

Basically I just copied and pasted all of my GOES17 entries and changed everything to “goes18” where it currently has “goes17”. Seems to be working like a champ.

Phil Biehl

Aug 8, 2022, 7:45:34 PM8/8/22
to goestools-users
Thanks for your reply. I have done the same to my /usr/share/goestools/goesproc-goesr.conf file but it now throws an error: "Invalid image handler origin: goes18".

I've attached the file. Would someone be willing to take a look please?

Thanks,
Phil
goesproc-goesr.conf

Scott W

Aug 8, 2022, 7:58:11 PM8/8/22
to goestoo...@googlegroups.com
I would make sure your goestools installation is up to date. I think there was an update back in March to allow for goes 18/19.

Phil Biehl

Aug 8, 2022, 8:56:30 PM8/8/22
to goestools-users
Whats the best way to update my RPi? I tried US RadioGuy's update directions but the build fails looking for a libairspy module.

Phil Biehl

Aug 9, 2022, 9:52:58 AM8/9/22
to goestools-users
Could someone please help me with this?

Carl Reinemann

Aug 9, 2022, 11:02:44 AM8/9/22
to goestools-users
You should not need to reinstall all the dependencies like libairspy  just do the update for goestools.
https://usradioguy.com/goes-t-18-preparing-for-a-new-satellite/#goestools

cd goestools
cd build
cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX:PATH=/usr ..
sudo make install
sudo reboot

Ross Johnson

Aug 9, 2022, 11:11:28 AM8/9/22
to goestoo...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

Same issue here 8-1-22

"Could someone please help me with this?"

Me too...

Haven't spent much time on this, none making the 17-18 switch basically.

I'm tried adding "goes Vitality" but obviously everything needs to be working first. 2 birds with one stone? I thought I broke something but turns out my timing was terrible to experiment with goes vitality august 1st....

Like Phil everything is working great wonderful vit's hardware is fine. I'm going to revert to a backup I had before trying to add vitality...

I would love to simply find and replace "goes17" to "goes18" in configs... But I know/think there's more to it...???

My syntax is likely wrong, I'm away from the machine but just wondering if there is an easier or better way to get going again.

Much appreciation for everyone on this list I've learned so much from all of you...

Much respect,

Ross kc7rjk
Eugene OR

Phil Biehl

Aug 9, 2022, 4:24:11 PM8/9/22
to goestools-users
Thanks Carl,
My mistake was no continuing after the cmake line. This command threw the missing libairspy library error. When I went ahead and ran make install it all worked fine. After entering the GOES18 instances in the conf file, it all started working.

Well done!
Phil,
Portland, OR