EMWIN filtering in goesproc?

Rob M

May 19, 2021, 12:59:07 PM5/19/21
to goestools-users
Hello,

  To my understanding there is no EMWIN processing for text files except for Windows software called Weather Message. I live in the Seattle area and noticed that text files from the local NOAA office in Seattle have "KSEW" in the file name. Is there a way in goesproc to tell it to save only files with "KSEW" being in the title name? Going one step further, does goes proc have the capability to inspect the contents of a text file and only save it when certain keywords are found?

Thanks
Rob

Hernán Freschi

May 19, 2021, 1:04:42 PM5/19/21
to goestoo...@googlegroups.com
what I do is receive everything in a temporary directory mounted in-memory. then I have a script that watches filesystem changes in that directory and runs a script for every received file. this way you can do anything you want. 99% of files I just delete. the ones I'm interested in, i copy to permanent storage.
I go by file name but you could certainly grep files and go by file content or any other criteria.
After all it's just a shell script.

if anyone is interested I can post my script which may be useful as a starting point.

Donny Zimmerman

Sep 8, 2021, 1:59:07 PM9/8/21
to goestools-users
Can I please get that EMWIN filtering script? I am interested in filtering the EMWIN text files based on the filename characteristics.

Thanks!

Carl Reinemann

Sep 10, 2021, 5:39:14 PM9/10/21
to goestools-users
http://usradioguy.com/goes-satellite-imagery-reception/#emwin   scroll down a a little bit from that placemark and you find a method for not processing the text in the first place.

Carl

Carl Reinemann

Sep 10, 2021, 5:43:42 PM9/10/21
to goestools-users
I'd like to see that EMWIN filtering script as well

Dave, K0RX

Sep 19, 2021, 5:05:02 PM9/19/21
to goestools-users
I use the linux 'find' utility with cron to filter emwin texts and graphics files. The process is pretty straightforwrard, here is what I do...

1) Create a ramdisk with sufficient space to store the emwin files you want to save. There are many ways to create a ramdisk and I won't go into that here. Google is your friend on this one. I have my ramdisk mounted at /media/ramdisk.

    The reason to store emwin files in a ramdisk is to save wear and tear on your physical disks - emwin generates lots of data and this process saves everything from goestools, and then deletes it selectively based on time since the file was written and filename. In my case, I need about 105 MB of space in my ramdisk for the emwin files.

2) Use goestools to dump all emwin files (including text messages to e.g. the /media/ramdisk/emwin directory). Carl has good information about how to do this on his web page referenced above.

3) Then I run the following commands from cron:

    1 */3 * * * /usr/bin/find /media/ramdisk/emwin -name "*" -type f -mmin +720 -delete
    */5 * * * * /usr/bin/find /media/ramdisk/emwin/*.TXT -type f ! -name '*KDVN*' ! -name '*KBOU*' -print -delete

The first line runs every three hours at 1 minute past the hour, and deletes all files in the /media/ramdisk/emwin directory older than 720 minutes (6 hours). The second line runs every five minutes and deletes all files ending in .TXT that do not contain KDVN or KBOU (the two areas I am interested in). If you want to delete files containing a particular text string (rather than delete everything but files containing the text string), omit the exclamation mark before the -name flag in the command. You can handle multiple text strings with the same command, or write one command for each text string you want to handle.

Donny Zimmerman

Mar 28, 2022, 11:36:11 AM3/28/22
to goestoo...@googlegroups.com
Can you please send me your EMWIN filtering script.

Thanks!

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "goestools-users" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/goestools-users/ac9e35b5-5ceb-438a-af31-6b6b50b3286an%40googlegroups.com.

Donny Zimmerman

Mar 29, 2022, 10:06:51 AM3/29/22
to goestools-users
Sorry, I didn't see the latest post in  the string. Thanks for the info.