Souza Painted Hell by Jugneeta Sudan

Selma Cardoso

Sep 6, 2017, 11:35:31 AM9/6/17
to The Third Thursday Goa Book Club
“I have made art my metabolism. I express myself freely in paint in order to exist ...” wrote Souza of his credo as a painter in the 1940s. “When I press a tube I coil. Every brush stroke makes me recoil like a snake struck with a stick. I hate the smell of paint. Painting for me is not beautiful. It is ugly like a reptile …”
The controversial alter ego of Souza pulls and repels in equal measure. His first persona of a Goan-born Indian artist and a pioneer member of the Bombay Progressive Artist Group (PAG) is regarded well in the art world. He led Indian art after independence and imparted it a modernist idiom. A good writer with a powerful language, he became the spokesman of the PAG. He worked on a manifesto in which he stated, “They wanted to take art away from the sophisticated arty-arty crowd”.

Read full text here:

Best,
Selma