Jesuit Cultural Heritage in Arossim

Themistocles D'Silva

Sep 5, 2023, 5:34:02 AM9/5/23
to goa-rese...@googlegroups.com, goa-book-club, goa...@goanet.org

Please also visit

The Garden of Shepherds of Miguel de Almeida represents the best systematization of the pastoral discourse within the Jesuit literature developed in South Asian languages.  The book, written in Konkani through Roman script, was published at the College of Saint Paul in 1658–59. The work is structured in sermons following the celebrations of the Catholic calendar, one for each Sunday of the year.
      Miguel de Almeida was born in the Portuguese village of Gueva (province of Beira) in 1607. In 1624, he entered the Jesuit novitiate in Goa. He learned Konkani at the College of Saint Paul where he became rector, and finally provincial of the Society of Jesus, 1659–62. Apart from the Garden of Shepherds, Miguel de Almeida possibly co-authored a grammar of Konkani language together with António de Saldanha. The Jesuit Ignazio Archamone (1615–83) informs us of the elegant and clear style of Almeida’s works in the local language of Goa. He died in Raichur in 1683.

Themistocles D'Silva
Oldest House in Arossim.pdf

John de Figueiredo

Sep 5, 2023, 5:34:07 AM9/5/23
to goa-rese...@googlegroups.com, goa-book-club, goa...@goanet.org
Dear Themistocles,
What a beautiful story and lovely pictures! Thank you for sharing this with us.
Sincerely,
John M. de Figueiredo

Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 4, 2023, at 3:28 PM, Themistocles D'Silva <themis...@gmail.com> wrote:

<Oldest House in Arossim.pdf>

Edwin/Diana Pinto

Sep 5, 2023, 6:06:48 PM9/5/23
to goa-bo...@googlegroups.com
How interesting.  We go to Arossim Beach for our walks and often admire the flow and expansiveness of the architecture of these homes. Now that we can visualise the historical background of these lovely structures, they take on even more of a life of their own. Thanks for sharing.

--
*** Please be polite and on-topic in your posts. ***

Heta Pandit

Sep 6, 2023, 10:59:36 AM9/6/23
to goa-bo...@googlegroups.com, goa-rese...@googlegroups.com, goa...@goanet.org
Dear
Themistocles

Thank you for sharing this gem of joy!

I’m currently reading MY BROTHERS IN ST.DOMINIC GUZMAN 1503-1962 by Fr Agnello Barbosa op and for anyone interested in church history it’s an enriching experience indeed. Do try and find a copy!

Best wishes

Heta Pandit

--
*** Please be polite and on-topic in your posts. ***