How to setup password authentication on Windows GoCD

smtechx5000

May 27, 2021, 10:02:15 PM5/27/21
to go-cd
Setting up password authentication on Windows.   What is a password file and how do I create one on Windows?

Marques Lee

May 27, 2021, 11:29:37 PM5/27/21
to go...@googlegroups.com
If you’re referring to the default password file, it’s in Apache htpasswd format.

On Thu, May 27, 2021 at 7:02 PM 'smtechx5000' via go-cd <go...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Setting up password authentication on Windows.   What is a password file and how do I create one on Windows?

Marques Lee

May 27, 2021, 11:31:10 PM5/27/21
to go...@googlegroups.com
Reference:

If you need more robust, there are plugins for that

smtechx5000

May 28, 2021, 12:54:31 PM5/28/21
to go-cd
Yeah, already know that.  Is there a step by step process for creating the file, where to put the file, the format for the path in the authentication setup for Windows?  Im not seeing anything anywhere on how to set the password authentication up.  Also, I noticed that you cant use notifications, which I need unless you have the authentication enabled.   Im blocked.

smtechx5000

May 28, 2021, 12:56:41 PM5/28/21
to go-cd
and why is this I have to install Apache just to generate a password file?

smtechx5000

May 28, 2021, 12:57:20 PM5/28/21
to go-cd
Most of the other plugins I cannot use.

smtechx5000

May 28, 2021, 12:58:48 PM5/28/21
to go-cd
And where can I download htpasswd  without installing the entire Apache server suite?  Will it work on Windows?

smtechx5000

May 28, 2021, 12:59:16 PM5/28/21
to go-cd
See what I mean?  Where is all this documentation?

Ashwanth Kumar

May 28, 2021, 1:14:01 PM5/28/21
to go...@googlegroups.com

smtechx5000

May 28, 2021, 1:20:20 PM5/28/21
to go-cd
Yup, been to those and done that.  I say again...where is the documentation that exlplains exactly how to do it on Windows including how to make the password file itself.  Not the hashed password.  Where to put it and the file path format in WiNDOWS not Linux.  That page is useless.

smtechx5000

May 28, 2021, 1:21:13 PM5/28/21
to go-cd
The plugin repo site is just as useless.

smtechx5000

May 28, 2021, 1:23:29 PM5/28/21
to go-cd
Does the file name need to be '.htpasswd' ?  Or...'anything.htpasswd', or password.properties like the example in Go?  Can I just make a text file and name it something.htpasswd  then copy in my initial hashed password?

smtechx5000

May 28, 2021, 1:24:09 PM5/28/21
to go-cd
Exact steps?...

Ashwanth Kumar

May 28, 2021, 1:29:50 PM5/28/21
to go...@googlegroups.com
The password file format is documented in the Usage Instruction section at https://github.com/gocd/gocd-filebased-authentication-plugin#usage-instructions. To quote

You can put as many username/hashed password pairs as you like -- use a new line for each one

This section on the README talks about the configuration of the plugin: https://github.com/gocd/gocd-filebased-authentication-plugin#configuration. The general assumption we make across most of the plugins is that folks know how to read "path-to-password-file" means.  To put it in "exact steps" fashion, You can put the file anywhere on the machine, you just need to make sure the gocd-server process can access it.

If you feel the documentation can be improved further, please send across a PR on the plugin repo or the docs repo with better documentation. We love contributions from our users.

Thanks,

smtechx5000

May 28, 2021, 1:32:46 PM5/28/21
to go-cd
Again....I know that.  The password format itself I get.  What about the password FILE?  How do I generate it?  What is is called?  What does the file exstension need to be?  Where is the "how to setup password authentication in WINDOWS step by step " instructions?

smtechx5000

May 28, 2021, 1:33:53 PM5/28/21
to go-cd
No matter what I call it or the file exstension the plugin says it cant find the file.    Im using a Windows path.  For example:  C:\Go Server\

smtechx5000

May 28, 2021, 1:37:13 PM5/28/21
to go-cd
"You can put as many username/hashed password pairs as you like -- use a new line for each one"  I know this already.  This is not in question.  The file ITSELF is.

And to be honest I know what "path-to-password-file" means.   No matter what path I use Go cant find the file or says its not the correct file.  Again....what does the FILE itself need to be?

smtechx5000

May 28, 2021, 1:38:33 PM5/28/21
to go-cd
and....for your info..YES it needs to say EXACTLY how to set it up.   Documentation needs to be complete with no guess work involved.

Marques Lee

May 28, 2021, 3:10:19 PM5/28/21
to go...@googlegroups.com

Marques Lee

May 28, 2021, 3:11:16 PM5/28/21
to go...@googlegroups.com

Aravind SV

May 28, 2021, 4:56:20 PM5/28/21
to go-cd
> and....for your info..YES it needs to say EXACTLY how to set it up.   Documentation needs to be complete with no guess work involved.

Not really. Please stop acting so entitled. You don't "deserve" anything. Here's a document that might help you: http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#rtfm and maybe read about open-source projects. I'd suggest being nicer to people who are helping you out, for no gain whatsoever to themselves.

Here is  the code of conduct for this forum: https://github.com/gocd/gocd/blob/master/CODE_OF_CONDUCT.md

If there are further posts from you which are disrespectful, you will be banned from posting.

Thank you,
Aravind

Marques Lee

May 28, 2021, 7:20:01 PM5/28/21
to go...@googlegroups.com
Also to add on top of that, it’s generally expected of users to do a *bare minimum* of effort to research things, especially if they are out of scope. If you saw a note about htpasswd and realized it what it is, it’s is *your responsibility* to at least try to find out how that works.

You have to try too. Documentation is already at a reasonable level of hand-holding. We can’t spoon feed you all requisite knowledge. Otherwise we’d be teaching you how to use bash as well, which is clearly beyond the scope of GoCD.

Marques Lee

May 28, 2021, 7:49:50 PM5/28/21
to go...@googlegroups.com
The plugin repo site is just as useless.

It’s not, and TBH, what actually seems to be useless is your ability to use Google or any other reputable search engine.

Everything we’ve posted is quite easily searchable.

I mean googling “create htpasswd in windows” would have yielded results — even online generators to create htpasswd files. It really doesn’t get much easier, and had you spent the 20 seconds it took to find it, you’d be on your way already if you had just done the basic due diligence expected on the Internet. In any case, being negative to folks who have tried to help you out won’t get you very far anywhere.

Aravind SV

May 29, 2021, 2:17:09 AM5/29/21
to go-cd
> If there are further posts from you which are disrespectful, you will be banned from posting.

Narrator: They weren't.

Was put in a moderation queue. Banned once messages with direct abuse were received.